Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Inkbird temperature controller on sale on Amazon, only $140.

Options
The Inkbird temperature controller is $60 off right now on Amazon.  Only $140 when coupon clipped.

Comments

• alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,659
    edited February 2021
    Options
    I just don't understand the need for a fan. Almost my entire BGE experience has been struggling to keep from over shooting temps.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    I just don't understand the need for a fan. Almost my entire BGE experience has been struggling to keep from over shooting temps.
    Piece of mind during overnights. I've also monitored cooks and adjusted temps when I've been at others people's house during the holidays.
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    Piece of mind during overnights. I've also monitored cooks and adjusted temps when I've been at others people's house during the holidays.

I use a smobot and I have never had a fire go out, also adjust remotely. I love a controller for piece of mind, I just never saw the need for a fan.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• sabretooth04
    sabretooth04 Posts: 46
    edited February 2021
    Options

I use a smobot and I have never had a fire go out, also adjust remotely. I love a controller for piece of mind, I just never saw the need for a fan.
    My issue with the smobot is that I want to control the amount of smoke and I use the top vent to do that.  I don't want too much smoke so I leave it open at a set amount.  If it closes... too much smoke.

• WeberWho
    Options
    WeberWho said:

I'd imagine for the cost. The Smobot makes sense but it's probably much easier and cost effective for other manufacturers to use a cheap plastic fan for temp adjustments compared to how the Smobot is used. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    Roger that @WeberWho
      I have a old freezer that used to run non stop, it literally never shut off.  I bought a ink bird controller and plugged it in, set it for 0 and the freezer works and cycles just fine.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• 4TheGrillOfIt
    Options
    No one “needs” a Big Green Egg for that matter.  I use mine (FB Egg Genius) on longer cooks.  It’s another cool toy to play with and it adds piece of mind.  
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • WeberWho
    Options
    Roger that @WeberWho
      I have a old freezer that used to run non stop, it literally never shut off.  I bought a ink bird controller and plugged it in, set it for 0 and the freezer works and cycles just fine.
    I have a Inkbird sous vide. Zero complaints. They seem to be a really good company. The owner is active over on the Brethren. 

Minnesota
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    OK, to clarify I was referring to the Fan aspect of a controller. 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.