Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Laser thermo gun?

Options
Pizza over is enroute. Need a laser thermo.

What do y'all suggest?

amazon has this:

https://www.amazon.com/Dr-Meter-IR-20-Non-Contact-Thermometer-Temperature/product-reviews/B00R19ANCS?pageNumber=21
Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
Dennis - Austin,TX

Comments

• frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    Options
    I like my Fluke
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Re the one you referenced, Amazon says...

Currently unavailable. 
    We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.

I like the Thermoworks version. https://www.thermoworks.com/IR-Gun
    Though when I bought mine, it was about half that price.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    Nothing wrong with cold pizza!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,527
    Options

Currently unavailable. 

I have the Thermoworks gun too. Paid $39 in 2014.

As for Dr. Meter IR-20, display over 1000F is neat (Thermoworks max display 999.9). However, with fixed(?) emissivity of .95 you can't measure forehead temp for covid screening  =)  Also, not a big fan of 9V battery.
    canuckland
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options

Currently unavailable. 

I have the Thermoworks gun too. Paid $39 in 2014.

As for Dr. Meter IR-20, display over 1000F is neat (Thermoworks max display 999.9). However, with fixed(?) emissivity of .95 you can't measure forehead temp for covid screening  =)  Also, not a big fan of 9V battery.
    As long as I can measure my Ooni pizza stone and my bidet seat, I’m good. 
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Dennis - Austin,TX
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    I have a yellow thermo works gun mid 30 dollar purchase years ago.  Still works great.  No complaints
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    I have a yellow thermo works gun mid 30 dollar purchase years ago.  Still works great.  No complaints
    Same here, but I have no way to check its accuracy like I can a dome thermometer (ice water and boiling water with altitude adjustment), and ATK haven't tested them yet (to my knowledge).  
    Uh, duhhh Botch, you could test them against ice/boiling water, tomorrow... 

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    edited February 2021
    Options

Currently unavailable. 

I musta got the last one 'cause I ordered it and it arrives Thursday...or so "they" say. WTF knows now that El Jefe is stepping down...

Dennis - Austin,TX
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    Botch said:
    kl8ton said:
    Same here, but I have no way to check its accuracy like I can a dome thermometer (ice water and boiling water with altitude adjustment), and ATK haven't tested them yet (to my knowledge).  
    Uh, duhhh Botch, you could test them against ice/boiling water, tomorrow... 
    I don't use mine for anything precise. Comparing temps on various areas of Blackstone,  maybe wheel temps to see if brakes are hung up on trailers,  make sure heated faucets are working,  etc. 20 degrees plus minus will not hurt me.  

Maybe wrap a rubber band around the trigger and throw in boiling water.  😁
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • PigBeanUs
    Options
    Lasers. 

Pew pew. 

(Thank you for coming to my TEDtalk)
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    Options
    I bought a Ryobi IR thermometer from Home Depot without realizing that the max temp is something like 530 degrees.  I bought it to shoot the stone in my pizza oven.  It doesn’t give me an accurate reading, but I know that of it registers “ERR” I’m in the ballpark of hot enough.  

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I use mine as a cat toy more than measuring temperatures.

Cool tip:  Change the emmisivity setting so it reads high, beam at the wife-unit's forehead, and show her she's running a 103F temp.  Yell "COVID!!!" and slowly back away from her, covering your face by pulling up your shirt.

Great laughs.  Mirthful time.

PS - I have the Dewalt and a bunch of cheap units.  Pay extra for a good one.  Whatever you do, don't by the Thermoworks.
    I use mine as a cat toy more than measuring temperatures.

Cool tip:  Change the emmisivity setting so it reads high, beam at the wife-unit's forehead, and show her she's running a 103F temp.  Yell "COVID!!!" and slowly back away from her, covering your face by pulling up your shirt.

Great laughs.  Mirthful time.

PS - I have the Dewalt and a bunch of cheap units.  Pay extra for a good one.  Whatever you do, don't by the Thermoworks.
    What’s wrong with the Thermoworks one?
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Nothing.  Just f*ckin with Dennis.
    Options
    I bought this one at the beginning of Covid thinking I could test people and cooking temperatures..... its awful at people but its spot on for testing cooking*.  Ended up buying a different one on Amazon for people. 

*Tested ice, ice water, boiling water, used thermopop on surfaces.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Klein-Tools-Infrared-Thermometer-with-GFCI-Receptacle-Tester-IR1KIT/312651142
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    dmchicago said:
    Pizza over is enroute. Need a laser thermo.

What do y'all suggest?

amazon has this:

https://www.amazon.com/Dr-Meter-IR-20-Non-Contact-Thermometer-Temperature/product-reviews/B00R19ANCS?pageNumber=21

have you ever used one before, they are not the most accurate but after the oven breaks in you can experiment with different temps to see what works for you. the day to day reading is fairly consistent but the temp reading can be way off. i mostly use these for finding hot and cold zones in plumbing situations, not the actual temp. you can set it up for black, but not all blacks read the same. it will help you with temps that work but so will the old method of tossing in flour and watching it burn in a few seconds
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Options
    Spend a little more for a quality unit - adjustable emissivity and range up to 1,400 F.
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT.