Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Just a few wing pieces...

Options
Morning All:

We have both sons, D-I-Ls & some of the grandkids with us today so the protein is wings...50 total pieces (26 drums/24 flats) so I used five different rubs...L to R is Meat Church Honey Bacon BBQ, Dizzy Pig Pineapple Head, DP Shaking the Tree, DP Mediterranean-ish & DP Peking...

Two levels on one of the large Eggs...20 on the lower & 30 on the upper...

Indirect starting at about 200 dome temp...let temp rise slowly to about 400 over the next two hours and now ready to eat...

The appetizer was ABT dip (see next post for details)...

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

Comments

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,525
    Options
    Heckuva feast, right there!  

"Commander, say hello to Cricket!"  - KN

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,516
    Options
    Between those and that dip you have really done it up right.  Eating well right there!  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • jdMyers
    jdMyers Posts: 1,336
    Options
    Did you have to flip or turn the wings at all.
    Columbus, Ohio
  • SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,504
    Options
    Morning @jdMyers :angry:

I usually flip 60 to 70 minutes in then once more after another 30 minutes 

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• jdMyers
    jdMyers Posts: 1,336
    Options
    Just curious i do too but my buddy never does.
    Columbus, Ohio
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,922
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Looks GREAT from here, Jay!

I’m trying something different tomorrow night. You recall Egrets famous Georgia Red Wings?

Well by tomorrow night my wings will have been swimming for 50 hours. 

We have had some pretty nasty weather here ever since December and most of that ice and snow is still on the frozen ground.

Anyway...I’m going to roast those wings via rotisserie basket in my hot air fryer. 

Oooops not a BGE cook!

• MotownVol
    MotownVol Posts: 1,042
    Options
    So what turned out to be your favorite rub?
    Morristown TN, LBGE and Mini-Max.
  • Tarpon65
    Tarpon65 Posts: 205
    Options
    I wanted to do wings this week, but Publix wanted $18-$19 for a long tray of them, and it's just the wife and I.  I could eat them all in a couple meals, but decided not to buy them.
  • RRP
    Options
    Tarpon65 said:
    I wanted to do wings this week, but Publix wanted $18-$19 for a long tray of them, and it's just the wife and I.  I could eat them all in a couple meals, but decided not to buy them.
    Don’t you own a freezer? I bought a tray of 27 from Sam’s and then separated them into flats and drums and pitched the flaps. Sealed them into packages in FoodSaver bags and put in the freezer. They stay frozen just fine.
  • SSN686
    Options
    Morning @MotownVol 

My favorite for wings is the DP Pineapple Head, but I really all of the ones I used...just wanted some variety for everyone.

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• Botch
    Options
    RRP said:
    Tarpon65 said:
    Don’t you own a freezer? I bought a tray of 27 from Sam’s and then separated them into flats and drums and pitched the flaps. Sealed them into packages in FoodSaver bags and put in the freezer. They stay frozen just fine.
     :o   I hope you meant "tips"....

• Botch
    Options
    Oh, and a more general question for everyone: when you cook up a huge batch of wangs (or anything, actually), and use different rubs or sauces on different portions, how do you keep track of what's what?  
    I often try two different variations of a cook, and if it's just two, say, meatloaves, I'll stick a toothpick into one of them, then write down which variation got the extra whatever.  I can't see doing that with 50 wangs and 5 different rubs...

• SSN686
    Options
    Morning @Botch

In this case the wings don’t get moved around so I knew which area on the grill had which rub

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• RRP
    edited February 2021
    Options
    RRP said:

I’m trying something different tomorrow night. You recall Egrets famous Georgia Red Wings?

We have had some pretty nasty weather here ever since December and most of that ice and snow is still on the frozen ground.

Anyway...I’m going to roast those wings via rotisserie basket in my hot air fryer. 

Oooops not a BGE cook!

I WILL NEVER EVER AGAIN waste Georgia Red Wings in an Air Fryer!!!
  • ThrasherIII
    Options
    RRP said:
    RRP said:

Oooops not a BGE cook!

I WILL NEVER EVER AGAIN waste Georgia Red Wings in an Air Fryer!!! 
    Ron, Thank you for that information, It will be a high of 10 on Superbowl Sunday. I will be doing the wings on the Egg.
  • PeteSliver
    Options
    I’m almost embarrassed to ask, but what’s a red wing and don’t they just burn if you cook them 50 hours?
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    I’m almost embarrassed to ask, but what’s a red wing and don’t they just burn if you cook them 50 hours?
    If you’re referencing @RRP’smention of “swimming for 50” hours, I think he means having them marinate. 

No one cooks wings for 50 hours, except maybe @mickey
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,675
    Options
    If you’re referencing @RRP’smention of “swimming for 50” hours, I think he means having them marinate. 

No one cooks wings for 50 hours, except maybe @mickey
    Really cooked wings for the newbies. But not 50 hours. 

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• RRP
    Options
    No problem! As was mentioned above that was 50 hours in the marinade. Here's the recipe in case you are interested...(SORRY JAY for hijacking your thread)

Georgia Red Wings

Also known as 54/50 and fight over those wings! RRP

The basis of this recipe is from a friend down in Georgia and he called them Georgia Red Wings. I have tweaked the recipe several times over the years to our liking. It seems to be popular at our local Eggfests when I make it! These are not over-powering spicy as some hot wings can be, but instead quite flavorful.  Enjoy! Ron Pratt

INGREDIENTS:
    12 to 14 chicken wings
    .75 cup water
    1.25 cup soy sauce
    1/2 cup Texas Pete hot sauce
    1/2 cup lemon juice
    1 cup Hot and Spicy V8 juice 

.50 teaspoon Dizzy Pig brand Swamp Venom dry rub

Procedure
    1. Cut the wings apart at the joints discarding the tips IF you want to. 

2. Thoroughly rinse the fat from the wing parts by soaking in salt water for 4 hours and then again rinsing under running water. 

3. Combine marinade ingredients in a large new Zip-Loc bag (1 gallon works best) and mix well. Pour marinade over the wings in bag and then place bag in a rigid container and squeeze out air so the wings stay submerged. 

4. It is best to let the wings marinate in the refrigerator at a minimum of 50 hours! Massage bag and turn at least every 12 hours for best results.

5. Remove the wings from the marinade and if you want them hotter sprinkle lightly with Swamp Venom rub. 

6. Grill indirect at 350 to 375° for 45 to 50 minutes. If using a foil covered plate setter which I prefer I find no need to turn them during the full cook. If grilling direct, only cook at 350° dome, monitor carefully and turn every 10 minutes.