Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chuck Roast Pulled Beef (#2)

Options
Couldn't resist doing another chuck roast slow and low, then into a dutch oven covered, then shredded. Came out perfect yet again. Will never be unimpressed by this cut of beef and what it's capable of. I still think it's super underrated. Anyway, I received a marinade injector (thoughts? slightly gimmicky, not sure if it really affects the overall flavor of the meat, but w/e) as a Christmas gift and thought I'd put it to the test. Injected it with Kosmo's Q Reserve Smokehouse Blend and all but submerged it in that same marinade overnight (14+ hours) in the refrigerator.

Around 1030A I pulled it out of the fridge and rested it on a wire rack over a sheet pan to collect juices before covering it in a gunpowder charcoal rub. Even after resting for a bit at room temp, the juices from the injected marinade continued to sort of leak out of the beef.

Got my dome temp. to 250°F and threw it on the grate, indirect, with a drip pan full of about two cups of water beneath it.  let it go for about an hour and a half before inserting my probe. It took more than three hours to reach 155°F internal.

At 155°F it went into my Staub cast iron dutch oven w/ the lid on. I covered it in a cupful mixture of water, hot honey & maple syrup. Maintained a dome temp. of 250° for 4+ more hours until it reached an internal temp. of 215°F. Pulled the dutch oven and went inside to rest for a few.

Before shredding, I pulled the beef out and collected the juices in a separate container. While shredding, I removed all of the gristle and leftover fat.

I then added the juices back in + a little (probably a 1/4 cup) of Sweet Baby Ray's Spicy BBQ sauce, gave it a good stir and put the dutch oven uncovered back in the egg for an hour and a half.

End result was more than I could've hoped for! Super smoky flavor, mild sweetness, a little bit spicy with great pull. We made tacos w/ a homemade tomatillo-jalapeño salsa and pickled red onions. Ate way too much of this stuff.

Brooklyn, NYC - medium BGE

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Nice cook. I prefer pulled beef to it cousin pulled pork any day of the week 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    Excellent cook and tutorial.
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,660
    Options
    Damn dude! I would have eaten way to much too. Great job.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    Options
    Very nice!  Was thinking last night that it's been a while since last doing chuck roast.  Gonna buy one today.
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    I'm on vacation without an egg but still tried pulled beef yesterday.  Not as good but there were no leftovers from 6.75 lb .  I also love this cut. I browned/ seared on the gasser here at the condo then finished in the oven. 

Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    Options
    That looks incredible!

It's now on my "must try soon" list.
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • joshpounds90
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    I'm on vacation without an egg but still tried pulled beef yesterday.  Not as good but there were no leftovers from 6.75 lb .  I also love this cut. I browned/ seared on the gasser here at the condo then finished in the oven.

Looks great!!!
    Brooklyn, NYC - medium BGE