Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Challenger Table Question

Options
My homemade wood table is falling apart. Considering the Challenger Torch 76 for my L and MM. Does anyone have this configuration and can share a photo? I can't seem to find a picture online of one. Also, any advice on which option/add-ons I should consider would be appreciated. 

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Real nice product. Might want to look into the full slide out shelf options available for the bottom shelves. Makes access to stored items, usually larger and heavier ones, a breeze. Other than that, it’s a matter of choosing colors and finishes. They do offer SS top if you are willing to pony up for it. 
  • dcc
    dcc Posts: 90
    Options
    Here is mine.  It works fine for me.  MiniMax takes up a good bit of real estate on top.  Having the bar cart next to it helps a lot when things get crowded.

This is in my bar cart, but this drawer combo is great for holding grates, stones etc.  Handles lots of weight.  I bought a vertical rack piece to put in the drawer.  Don't know if Challenger sells one or not

Houston (Clear Lake) TX
    2 LBGE, 1 Mini-Max

• lecrams
    lecrams Posts: 116
    Options
    Thanks for the pictures! I was considering that option, as well as one where the MM sat in a hole. But I have not see one with the correct size hole. I like the vertical rack idea. Do you happen to have a link to where you bought it? 
  • dcc
    dcc Posts: 90
    Options
    I don't know where I got it.  It's been a while.  I remember it took a little searching to find one that I thought would fit in the drawer.  Just search for cabinet organizing systems.   I occasionally take my Mini Max on camping trips or vacations, so putting it in a hole on the table doesn't work as well for me.  I can also move it over to the bar and utilize the extra space on the egg cart if needed
    Houston (Clear Lake) TX
    2 LBGE, 1 Mini-Max

• OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 903
    Options
    I have the Torch 48 with a flip-up counter. Bought it over six years ago and it's still like new despite sitting outside and getting used several times a week all year round. One of the best purchases I've ever made!
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options
    You cannot go wrong with a Challenger Design Cart. They also manufacture carts for BGE, the green branded versions. Last year I had a shelf that needed to be replaced via warranty. Challenger sent out the parts to the dealer that I purchased it from to replace it. Unfortunately, Challenger sent the wrong size screws to my dealer. The dealer did not check the screw length and as a result the kid they sent out to repair the shelf drilled the screws right through the sheet metal on both sides of the cart! So what did Challenger Designs do, they sent me a replacement cart at no charge to replace the old one! Replacing a $3000 cart at no charge to me is a great example of fantastic customer service. 
  • tomtnc
    tomtnc Posts: 24
    Options
    Just to ad my $.02- check with @Tspud1 and he can design whatever you want or need. I looked long and hard at the Challenger brand, and then found the quality of his product to be at least equal to the Challenger but what amazed me was the price difference. Customer service has been absolutely outstanding as a couple of minor issues came up and response was outstanding and quickly resolved. Full disclosure, I have NO interest in his company or in anything he represents. I just look at quality, value, and customer service, and will vouch, l could not have done any better!!  Now, if you have money to burn and buy by brand, then that is another issue. 
  • JNDATHP
    JNDATHP Posts: 461
    Options
    My table from @Tspud1 looks as good today as it did when I got it a couple of years ago. I use pressure sprayer soap drizzled on the surface to remove any grease. 
    Michael
    Large BGE
    Reno, NV
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options

Seriously I love mine, the plate setter holder on the left is money.  
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Options
    Thanks for the kind words. Challenger makes a good table and my stainless ones are not for everyone. I dont powder coat so only one color choice. 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Don't own a Challenger cart but they sure look pretty.
    I remembered this thread from a few years ago where a can of "leaking" bug spray ate thru the surface finish of a Challenger table.
    No idea if Challenger has perhaps switched to a better surface treatment or not.
    If I were in the market for a steel table I'd certainly give @tspud1 first shot at supplying one as they are plain stainless and very customizable and by all accounts well made.
    Sooner or later you may, intentionally or otherwise, place a hot grate/skillet/etc. on your tabletop - a painted or powder coated surface may not survive that unharmed.
    The only downside I have found to bare shiny stainless steel carts/grills/whateva is that you don't want to rest your bare forearms on them on a hot sunny day. Ouch!

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• StillH2OEgger
    Options
    I surely have a few more years with my cedar table, but my next table is likely coming from @Tspud1. First order will come even earlier if I ever find room for a Blackstone.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Someone gave us a tip a year or so ago to use orange pledge spray to clean stainless.  Not the lemon or other formulation, just the orange.  The backsplash behind our stove is stainless all the way up to the hood and shows everything and the orange pledge has worked really well for us.
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Shelia Shine for stainless
    Greensboro, NC
  • Tspud1
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Don't own a Challenger cart but they sure look pretty.
    I remembered this thread from a few years ago where a can of "leaking" bug spray ate thru the surface finish of a Challenger table.
    No idea if Challenger has perhaps switched to a better surface treatment or not.
    If I were in the market for a steel table I'd certainly give @tspud1 first shot at supplying one as they are plain stainless and very customizable and by all accounts well made.
    Sooner or later you may, intentionally or otherwise, place a hot grate/skillet/etc. on your tabletop - a painted or powder coated surface may not survive that unharmed.
    The only downside I have found to bare shiny stainless steel carts/grills/whateva is that you don't want to rest your bare forearms on them on a hot sunny day. Ouch!

I do have a optional umbrella bracket,(no charge), it can be moved to either side with no tools. 
  • Tspud1
    Options
    Wolfpack said:
    Shelia Shine for stainless
    That stuff goes a long way
  • Tspud1
    Options
    I surely have a few more years with my cedar table, but my next table is likely coming from @Tspud1. First order will come even earlier if I ever find room for a Blackstone.
    Did you say Blackstone? 
  • RgrimesMD
    Options
    Went custom from Challenger. Would do it again in a second. 
  • JR_Baas
    JR_Baas Posts: 23
    Options
    Tspud1 said:
    Did you say Blackstone? 
    Cool table!  How do I purchase one?
  • Tspud1
    Options
    JR_Baas said:
    Tspud1 said:
    Did you say Blackstone? 
    Cool table!  How do I purchase one?
    www.outdoorkitchenequip.com
    this only works with old style front drain griddles, havent tried to do a rear drain