Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Was the Flameboss server down today?

Options
I had lost my cloud connection this afternoon. It is now back up. Had anyone else lost their connection? My internet and WiFi have not had any issues.

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    I’m sure it wasn’t on purpose.
    It happens. 
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • PigBeanUs
    PigBeanUs Posts: 932
    Options
    Serious question:

Can you use it w/o their server?

• dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options
    PigBeanUs said:
    Serious question:

Of course, you can use it via direct connection but you cannot see the history of the cook nor can you view the cook remote.
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    dstearn said:
    PigBeanUs said:
    Serious question:

Of course, you can use it via direct connection but you cannot see the history of the cook nor can you view the cook remote.
     But it keeps on cooking and the food is still perfectly cooked. So the failsafe of unit contining to do it job, despite any WiFi or server issues, for the win.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    And you can always direct connect to it through the wifi.....no internet needed, just the app ahead of time.
  • dstearn
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    dstearn said:
    PigBeanUs said:
    Serious question:

But it keeps on cooking and the food is still perfectly cooked. So the failsafe of unit contining to do it job, despite any WiFi or server issues, for the win.
    Correct, however the FB consistently overshoots the initial target temp every time I have used it. Having to set the target temp 25 degrees below the desired temp is not acceptable. I will be ordering an UltraQ to replace it.
  • Photo Egg
    edited January 2021
    Options
    dstearn said:
    Photo Egg said:
    dstearn said:
    PigBeanUs said:
    Serious question:

Correct, however the FB consistently overshoots the initial target temp every time I have used it. Having to set the target temp 25 degrees below the desired temp is not acceptable. I will be ordering an UltraQ to replace it.
    I don’t put my food on the Egg till it’s stabilized. But even it overshoots by a mere 25 degrees, even with food on the cooking grate, who in the real world would ever know the difference. I’m just not that OCD.
    Put a probe in you your home oven and read the hi-lo temps. Consistent over under during entire cook.
    My FB units have always given me great results. Certainly as good as my Guru with much better customer service when I need help.
    But it obvious you’re not happy, it’s ok, just go back to Guru. It’s great to have choices.  No disrespect intended. But my FB learned the curve after a couple cooks and works perfectly on my XL now.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,346
    Options
    I don’t have any issues with my FB 300. 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• bradleya123
    Options
    I have zero issues with my FB200...it never over shoots the target temp!  
    Retired Navy, LBGE
    Pinehurst, NC

• 6baluts
    6baluts Posts: 273
    Options
    - I have multiple temp contollers. Have kids that just don't know when to quit. My Flameboss is the most finicky of the bunch. Flameboss tech support is quite responsive. However I would not say it is anymore responsive or better than the others (Fireboard, Smobot or Guru). Even though the Flameboss is finicky most issues have been related to MY placement of the pit probe (too close to guest of honor). 
    - Last thing about the Flameboss it just does not like my Primo XL at all. Have had 5 runaway fires. FB tech has been great but still have not figured out why. Yes they have thrown new fans and probes at it. Solution was easy with the Primo use a different controller.
  • OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 903
    Options
    I think the only big issue is that their server is not robust enough. I've had it go out on me twice (both times on big holidays), and others have reported the same. It doesn't affect the cook, only the reason for buying the gadget.

The overshooting thing is annoying, but you get used to it. A little hard to understand why they haven't tweaked their algorithms to fix that, after this many years, but it's certainly not a deal breaker.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    OhioEgger said:

The overshooting thing is annoying, but you get used to it. A little hard to understand why they haven't tweaked their algorithms to fix that, after this many years, but it's certainly not a deal breaker.
    Because it would have account for the size of kamado, outside air temp, weight of meat, type of charcoal, lighting method, etc.  There are a million factors.

None of these units are designed for startup.  They are meant to maintain temps within certain spreads.  Yes, they can be used to ramp up and down for greater spreads like startup, and they might work, but thats not really what they are supposed to do.  Nothing you strap to a kamado is going to do that perfectly.  
  • dstearn
    Options
    OhioEgger said:

Because it would have account for the size of kamado, outside air temp, weight of meat, type of charcoal, lighting method, etc.  There are a million factors.

None of these units are designed for startup.  They are meant to maintain temps within certain spreads.  Yes, they can be used to ramp up and down for greater spreads like startup, and they might work, but thats not really what they are supposed to do.  Nothing you strap to a kamado is going to do that perfectly.  
    I have used the FB 300 for 2 1/2 years. The overshoot has been a consistent problem. I can understand a 5-10 degree variance at start up but not 25 degrees or more. There appears to be an issue with the algorithm or lack of fan damper or both. When I used my original DigiQ DX2 and the CyberQ as long as I set the damper to 1/4 open I could easily ramp up and maintain grate temps at 225. Not so with the FB 300. The FB used to have an advantage with ease of setup for remote use which is why I bought it. It no longer has that advantage. So for me I plan on moving to another controller. 
  • OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 903
    Options
    I just have the FB 200, so it may have a less sophisticated algorithm than newer models, but what I've noticed is that it just keeps the fan blowing until it gets right up very close to the set temperature. So naturally there is considerable overshoot. That's simply poor planning IMO.

Don't get me wrong; I still like the FB, it's just that this is a bug that should have been fixed by now IMHO.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.