Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best online site to purchase eggcessories?

Options
splitsurround
splitsurround Posts: 16
edited November -1 in Pre-Sale Questions
Anyone have a particular site they like? Low shipping, great prices and good customer service are important...

Also, What do y'all think are the "neccessary" eggcessories to get? I have Large BGE, the daisy wheel, the rolling legs, etc. What I'm looking for above that(not ready for a guru yet) :

--a good V-Rack and drip pan situation (don't have either)

--maybe the ceramic "placesetter" can be part of the above setup? Or is the grill extender a better way to go? (Or am I talking apples and oranges & confusing the issue?)

--something to use for fish

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

split

Comments

• mojopin
    mojopin Posts: 200
    Options
    I guess it's now or never for me to start posting on here. I may get addicted to it though and my boyfriend will leave me. :ohmy:

I don't buy any eggcessories online, I like to go to my local dealer, first hand know how from knowledgable people is always the way to go. Plus I like to support the small businesses and keep them around.

Now to your eggcessory questions, which you may have already figured out which ones to get being that it has been over a week since you posted.

•the BGE V-Rack works great, I love it for Ribs and Turkey and Roasts and any other meat I can get my hands on! The drip pan can be basically anything that will fit on the grill and catch drippings.

•the plate setter is a must have for indirect cooking and pizza

•I'm not sure how everyone else feels about cooking their fish, but on the Egg I love to use wood planks, or if you go with the direct cooking and it is a good thick 'steak' and not a flaky fish, right on the grill with a rub down of olive oil, I have the cast iron replacement for my egg.

•Neccessary eggcessories are all of the above and then some... well, maybe not neccessary, but you have to tell yourself whatever you can to convince yourself that it is OK to purchase more 'Neccessary' toys for your BGE.

Hope this helps!
    mojopin
  • Jeeves
    Jeeves Posts: 461
    Options
    I'm going to preface this by repeating what BGE states on their page:
    Internet Policy:
    There are no authorized internet retailers for Big Green Egg products. Purchasing and shipping any Big Green Egg product from an internet source will void the warranty associated with that product.

If you take a look at what is out on the internet from the major dealers that come back from search engines, including what they may be listing on ebay, they all appear to be listing a price that, when shipping is added, ends up being the SRP (Suggested Retail Price). It appears that, probably due to a dealer contract, they are not allowed to sell the item below a SRP. Some get around this by discounting the ITEM, but jack up the shipping. The end result is what you would pay for it (before tax) from a local dealer.

I encourage buying from your local dealer, even if you have to go to a 'galore' store. Why? Well, do you want that dealer to be there in x years when you have a question or problem? If you are dealing with a internet dealer, even if you have a problem with the item, you have to pay shipping. Now, if you are looking for a 'back door' to purchasing items from a dealer that is listing the items on the internet, then you would need to DRIVE to the dealer for the purchase. Does this make sense? Well, it some ways, I hope not, because purchasing BGE over the internet doesn't make sense, IMO.

The Plate Setter is a MUST (it's getting to the point where they should include it, IMO). Use it upright for making pizza or bread, but most use it to guarantee indirect heating and used to hold a drip pan.

Drip Pan: Because of the mess, just purchase some inexpensive foil ones from your local discount or grocery store. There is a company that begins with W that has a great size that fits perfectly on the setter.

Grid/Grate: For $18, replace the one that comes with the BGE with another one from the same company (begins with a W) that is 18.25 - 18.5 inches and has HINGED sides. This allows easier access to your fuel and your drip pan (if you are marinating, etc).

I bought a Half Moon Raised Grid. This provides a little more space, with a built-in removeable drip pan. See the below link for more info:
    Link: http://www.biggreenegg.com/racks.html

You should also get the Grill Gripper and the Ash tool.

Just my 2 cents,

Jeeves
    Austin, TX
  • calracefan
    Options
    A good thermometer such as a Thermopen, a Maverick remote is nice to have. As stated before the Platesetter or an after market way to indirect cook.
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • oldfishinglure
    Options
    Tom make some super stuff at

They arent Big Green Egg brand but the lighter in my honda isnt made by honda either 
    www.finandflame.com

www.oldfishinglure.com
  • CajunEggHead
    CajunEggHead Posts: 189
    edited November 2013
    Options

Tom make some super stuff at

1 Large Big Green Egg
     1 Weber Kettle
     1 Weber Weber Smokey Mountain 18"
     1 Long Horn Off Set
     1 Bradley Smoker
     1 Weber Silver Gasser
     1 Weber Smokey Joe Small
     1 Orange Thermapen
  • texbagger
    texbagger Posts: 90
    Options
    I really don't buy all my stuff from any one buyer or website.  I think you'll find the same.  The stuff is scattered all over the place.  There is no shortage of "stuff" to buy.  I limited myself to one XL BGE, plate setter, BGE cleanout tool, and a simple metal nest.  Bought it as a package as BBQ Galore was going out of business locally and had a steal of a deal.  I get all my lump from different grocers or Lowes/Costco.  On sale is best.  Wood for smoke I procure locally from my fav woodchop yard place in S Texas.  I did gt a partyQ Temp controller to make my overnights easier. Get those foil pans at any big box.  I use a variety of prepackaged rubs from our local Grocer, HEB and am in constant search of new stuff.  I need to make my own but I'm lazy about that. I do like meatheads website, amazingribs.com as he has the most detailed web portal I have seen.  I also love the nakedwhiz.com as there is a wealth of info there too.  I have found during my 2 year egg journey that its not so much about accessories, but more technique.  Figure out what works best for you and then experiment away.  Best of luck in your personal journey.  It's all about the TLC and love you put into this little obsession we all seem to be afflicted with. Take your time, ask questions here, and you will find your Nirvana spot. Most of all, enjoy it!
  • texbagger
    texbagger Posts: 90
    Options
    Also steve raichlin gloves are a great tool for man handling hot briskets and pork butts. At 11 bucks, cant be beat. Had mine over a year and they work great. I even turn cut up chickens over when speed grilling using these.

http://www.amazon.com/Steven-Raichlen-Best-Barbecue-Insulated/dp/B0007ZGURK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1395495214&sr=8-3&keywords=steve+raichlen

I fire start lump with Weber cubes:

http://www.amazon.com/Weber-7417-FireStarters-Lighter-Cubes/dp/B001AN7RGG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1395495414&sr=8-1&keywords=weber+cubes

I also bought a primo digital read thermopen but there are cheaper ones out there:

http://www.amazon.com/Splash-Proof-Super-Fast-Thermapen-Thermometer-Professional/dp/B002GIZZWM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1395495460&sr=8-1&keywords=thermapen

One more item worth a look is the MAVERICK thermometer:
    http://www.amazon.com/Maverick-Et-732-Remote-Smoker-Thermometer/dp/B004IMA718/ref=sr_1_46?ie=UTF8&qid=1395495616&sr=8-46&keywords=big+green+egg

Best of luck...choose wisely, and buy good quality "stuff".