Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Christmas Prime Rib - Need a little advice

Options
DainW
DainW Posts: 159
Okay so I picked up a 10lb standing rib roast from Costco today for Christmas. I plan on rubbing with herb butter and smoking it. I had a question with regards to preparation. Would you let it air dry in the fridge for a few days? Would it make sense to dry brine for a few days? I want to try to get a good crust on this one. 

Comments

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    yes, dry brine for a couple of days then rinse with cold water and let dry a day or two.  If you are smoking, I would start with a dry rub for a couple of hours and then baste with your butter.  Drying the meat will let it form a pellicule and smoke will “stick” to it.

Options
    Thanks paqman. What’s your ratio of salt to meat on the dry brine? I think I’ve read or seen a half teaspoon of salt per lb does that sound about right?
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    DainW said:
    Thanks paqman. What’s your ratio of salt to meat on the dry brine? I think I’ve read or seen a half teaspoon of salt per lb does that sound about right?
    I never really measure, just sprinkle all over the surface and then rub a bit.