Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Firebox & Warranty Availability?

Options
I’m an original owner of a large BGE, probably for nearly 25 years. My firebox had at least 2 visual cracks and upon lifting it out of the BGE, it came apart in 6 pieces. Knowing it’s warranted for life to the original owner, I took pictures, emailed them with purchase verification to BGE corporate. In less than a week, I was emailed a warranty claim form to take to. BGE dealer, who has to submit it in order for me to receive a replacement.

That all sounds great, but the BGE dealer says corporate hasn’t been shipping them new Eggs nor parts (neither for sale or warranty replacement). They’re telling their dealers it’s all pandemic related and they don’t know when they’ll be shipping again.

I’ve emailed BGE twice and not received any response. 

Has anyone else experienced anything similar to this or have any idea what’s going on with BGE? 

Best Answer

Answers

• mpenacho
    Options
    My dealer ordered me a replacement firebox for a large on 11/11/20.  Nothing so far for me either.  Fortunately, my firebox is still usable.
    LBGE, XLBGE
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    edited November 2020
    Options
    Typically if you want to get the replacement without being charged freight then they just include it with your dealer's next order. But for your dealer to say BGE isn't shipping anyone eggs sounds like BS or a confused dealer. 

BTW many of us have continued to use broken fireboxes in more pieces than your 6 so you aren't totally out of luck - just put it back in your base building it like a jigsaw puzzle!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Options
    A dealer here in Fort Collins just received a big order from th mothership so I don't think that shipping has stopped.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• Sheldon_Nigel
    Options
    Try an ACE and see if you have better luck.  In my area ACE has become the man egg dealers.  A lot of other shops have stopped carrying eggs.  ACE might have better luck.
    Ruining Gaskets one cook at a time.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    Try an ACE and see if you have better luck.  In my area ACE has become the man egg dealers.  A lot of other shops have stopped carrying eggs.  ACE might have better luck.
    You are correct. “Other shops have stopped carrying eggs.” What is such a crying shame is the small businesses which put BGE on the map were screwed over. Those small operators used to hold “Eggfests” which sold more eggs to knowledgeable buyers than any ACE store could ever dream of! 

Ever since Ed Fisher sold his baby to Arnie then...oh never mind...go buy your $1.57 in nuts and bolts and watch people scoff at the price tags on their BGE displays!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • dnitram
    Options
    Well, the BGE dealer is an ACE Hardware store and the biggest in the surrounding counties. Their business flourishes, so I don’t think it’s the dealer. I may have misunderstood them not being able to get new units to sell as they may have meant BGE can’t keep up with their demand for replenishing what they’ve sold. Either way, they’re not too happy with BGE corporate right now. They did have a nice display of various sizes, and accessories, just know what I thought I heard. Also told me their multi-store owner had been trying to get a definitive answer from corporate.

I for one am not too happy, especially since BGE corporate (last approval and contact person named “Golden”) has ignored me since emailed the paperwork for me to get the warranted part from the dealer. I had hoped and indicated to Golden that I’d sure appreciate having the firebox for Thanksgiving so I could cook our turkey on the Egg. That fell on deaf ears. 

If money was no object, I’d dump my Egg by BGE corporate’s front door (they’re here in the Atlanta metro area), then go buy a Kamado. Kind of fed up being ignored. Sad to say, but a lifetime warranty to an original owner isn’t worth anything if they’re not going to honor it. 

• dnitram
    Options
    Another thought. I remember when you could buy Harley Davidson parts and accessories online and have them ship to you. There was healthy price competition. Harley put their foot down and put a stop to that, with purchases from local dealers only , retail prices only. Never noticed it, but basically that’s the same business plan BGE adheres to. You can buy BGE parts online, but have to pickup locally. You can buy a competitive grill to BGE online and get a competitive price, too. If I needed a firebox for another brand than BGE, I could find a competitive price online And have it shipped to me. BGE is an excellent product, but they’re forgetting that People Do Business With Companies Easiest To Do Business With.
  • Sheldon_Nigel
    Options
    dnitram said:
    Well, the BGE dealer is an ACE Hardware store and the biggest in the surrounding counties. Their business flourishes, so I don’t think it’s the dealer. I may have misunderstood them not being able to get new units to sell as they may have meant BGE can’t keep up with their demand for replenishing what they’ve sold. Either way, they’re not too happy with BGE corporate right now. They did have a nice display of various sizes, and accessories, just know what I thought I heard. Also told me their multi-store owner had been trying to get a definitive answer from corporate.

I for one am not too happy, especially since BGE corporate (last approval and contact person named “Golden”) has ignored me since emailed the paperwork for me to get the warranted part from the dealer. I had hoped and indicated to Golden that I’d sure appreciate having the firebox for Thanksgiving so I could cook our turkey on the Egg. That fell on deaf ears. 

If money was no object, I’d dump my Egg by BGE corporate’s front door (they’re here in the Atlanta metro area), then go buy a Kamado. Kind of fed up being ignored. Sad to say, but a lifetime warranty to an original owner isn’t worth anything if they’re not going to honor it. 

If you are in Atlanta, just go by their mothership.
    Ruining Gaskets one cook at a time.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    I have been working with an Ace store for almost 3 months to get replacement parts.
    Part of problem is that it’s a new Ace store with a manager that has never done this before. Other issue is that our Distributor has not been getting parts from mother ship to ship to dealers. If I only had 1 cooker I would be bummed. But it’s motivating me to get my stick burner cleaned up.lol
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    took 3 months last fall to get a box and ring from ace, still waiting on the dome thermo =) ive gone thru three difficult dealers but up here some close shop every fall and winter so it takes some planning ahead. my last boxand ring were in maybe 20 pieces, it helps to have a good layer of ash in the egg when assembling to help stabilize the puzzle
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    dnitram said:

What he said. If you are local theres no need to even file a claim on a fire box they will swap it with just a picture at the mothership. The only parts they need approval for to swap at the mothership are bases and domes. Atleast thats what i have experienced in the past.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    RRP said:
    You are correct. “Other shops have stopped carrying eggs.” What is such a crying shame is the small businesses which put BGE on the map were screwed over. Those small operators used to hold “Eggfests” which sold more eggs to knowledgeable buyers than any ACE store could ever dream of! 

Ever since Ed Fisher sold his baby to Arnie then...oh never mind...go buy your $1.57 in nuts and bolts and watch people scoff at the price tags on their BGE displays!
    I think you are talking out your butt Ron. There are many great Ace egg dealers. Roswell hardware was the biggest egg dealer is the world before they changed to Atlanta Grill Company. They know more than any of the mom amd pop stores around and have an eggfest every year where they used to sell hundreds of eggs in a day. Also the Ace on Holcomb bridge in Roswell is a great egg dealer. From my experience the mom and pop shops are usually the ones with no clue and bad customer service.
  • dnitram
    Options
    Lit said:
    dnitram said:

What he said. If you are local theres no need to even file a claim on a fire box they will swap it with just a picture at the mothership. The only parts they need approval for to swap at the mothership are bases and domes. Atleast thats what i have experienced in the past.

RRP said:

RRP said:
    You are correct. “Other shops have stopped carrying eggs.” What is such a crying shame is the small businesses which put BGE on the map were screwed over. Those small koi operators used to hold “Eggfests” which sold more eggs to knowledgeable buyers than any ACE store could ever dream of! 

Actually I'm north of Atlanta, maybe 25 miles. A quick Google search didn't yield an address for BGE corporate. Does anyone have a good address for them? And available hours/days they're open? Wondering if they even have anyone available there? Their "customer service" certainly doesn't reflect it.
  • dnitram
    Options
    Great news! I had to go into Atlanta on business and decided to take a chance and go by BGE corporate. The gates were open (not a small place) and there was only 1 car in the employee parking lot. All the doors (retail store, culinary area, everything locked up with notes on the doors. At the far end of the building, near freight receiving, was a door marked "Deliveries," which was also closed, but had a buzzer that said "Hold Buzzer Down Until Light Comes On." I did that twice and after a few minutes a young guy (I'm 70, so everybody is young to me!) comes to the door and ask what I want. Since I had received several emails form a guy named "Golden," I asked if he was around. The employee asked Why and I told him I'd been trying to get the replacement warranted firebox, as I was an original owner and offered to show him the paperwork in my cell phone. He said that he didn't know if they had any, said he had to look and shut the door (I thought he was just trying to get rid of me). Doggone it, he came back in a minute, handed me a new firebox in the carton, asked my name and that was it after I profusely thanked him. I drove away with the biggest SMILE on my face! I still can't believe it!! WOW!!!

Thanks you for the address!! It was certainly worth the drive!!
  • ThrasherIII
    Options
    I would drive to Atlanta (Thrasherville) for that kind of service and i live in Indy.