Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Refinished dome handle

Options
500 Posts: 3,177
I refinished my old large Egg handle. Sanded, stained, and laid spar urethane. As a side project, I also refinished the dining room table, but it’s the handle I’m most proud of.

Before

After

I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
Member since 2009

Comments

• 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    Options
    Fantastic job! The handle looks better than new.
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • booksw
    booksw Posts: 470
    Options
    1voyager said:
    Fantastic job! The handle looks better than new.
    That's so true-  It looks great!
    Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs
    edited November 2020
    Options
    I don’t know what kind of wood it is, but it has a very tight grain. Yes I don’t think BGE would hand apply 5 coats of polyurethane. 
    Member since 2009
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    very good job!
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • TheToast
    TheToast Posts: 376
    Options
    What stain did you use? I need to do the same!
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Options
    Great job!  The extra coats of poly will help keep it from getting junked up too quickly.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

edited November 2020
    Options
    TheToast said:
    I sanded with 80 grit, knowing that it would gunk up from the years of buildup. I sanded up every grade to 400, then stained two or times with Minwax Special Walnut oil stain, then 3 coats of oil based clear gloss, and 2 coats of oil based clear satin spar polyurethane. You need spar polyurethane because it protects from moisture and sun fade. Spar poly is meant for outdoors. I’ve already noticed that it’s protected. There was a light rain and water beaded up on it. 
    Member since 2009
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Options
    500 said:
    TheToast said:
    I sanded with 80 grit, knowing that it would gunk up from the years of buildup. I sanded up every grade to 400, then stained two or times with Minwax Special Walnut oil stain, then 3 coats of oil based clear gloss, and 2 coats of oil based clear satin spar polyurethane. You need spar polyurethane because it protects from moisture and sun fade. Spar poly is meant for outdoors. I’ve already noticed that it’s protected. There was a light rain and water beaded up on it. 
    You were smart going with gloss on the first 3 coats because there is more "material" in it for protection.  The satin, semi-gloss, and dull finishes have other materials in them to knock down the natural gloss look but don't have as much protective stuff in it.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

Options
    QDude said:
    500 said:
    TheToast said:
    You were smart going with gloss on the first 3 coats because there is more "material" in it for protection.  The satin, semi-gloss, and dull finishes have other materials in them to knock down the natural gloss look but don't have as much protective stuff in it.

I didn’t know that. First time refinishing anything. The table was a challenge. I read that you should lay down gloss on every coat except the last, with the last being the final sheen you want. 
    Member since 2009