Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need help

Options
I am thinking of giving a seafood Paella I try for thanksgiving.  Looking for something totally different.  Due to Covid, it will just be my wife and daughter. Don’t have a pan, so what is the biggest pan I can purchase and use on the large?  Prices seem to range from $30 to $400.  Not interested in anything super expensive.  Could a Lodge cast iron skillet do the job?  Could a 18-20 inch pan be used if I could create something to support the pan on top of the gasket.  

Again just looking for help, thoughts, from the experts.  Thanks in advance.
Morristown TN, LBGE and Mini-Max.

Comments

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    I have this carbon steel skillet. It fits the large, makes great paella, and serves for many other uses. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • MotownVol
    MotownVol Posts: 1,040
    Options
    Specifically what size did you order?
    Morristown TN, LBGE and Mini-Max.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    If you can find a pan with vertical handles you obviously can maximize the use of the BGE.  The above from @SciAggie looks like a winner as the pan I have is no longer available.  I would not go with anything needing to be on the gasket  as the air flow would be blocked since the key for the BGE paella fire is to cook with the dome open, bottom vent shut.  Here's a good primer link:
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/paella/paella.htm  But no need to close the dome at the finish as the traditional open fire cook style clearly doesn't care about closing up the cook.  
    BTW- @SciAggie is a paella whisperer.  His finish determination technique using fork tines is  genius.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.