Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Temp Probe That Will Last More Than A Year

Options
I tried searching and it was about impossible to find what I'm looking for.  I need a temp probe with at least two probes that will last longer than a f'n year.  I have found buying probes alone doesn't mean it will fit your existing unit, so I want to start from scratch.  Any recommendations that are reasonably priced?

Comments

• RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    I'll add, recommendations on Amazon would be best.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Identify what it is - thermocouple or thermistor.  If it's a thermocouple, find out what type (Type-K, Type-J, etc).  Identify the name that describes the plug (1/8" phone plug or whatever.  Good news is that thermocouples are standardized on just a few types).

Then shop for it. Look at reviews, price, etc, but also look at the quality of the build.  Get one with insulation rated as hot as you can and as water resistant as you can.

You kind of get what you pay for.  The commercial stuff is expensive....for a reason.

But the best advice IMO, would be to take care of whatever you end up with.  The enemies are moisture and heat.   Don't ever use them in direct heat.  That includes any part of the wire.  Make a shield out of foil to give it a shadow between the plate setter and lip of the lid, for example.

Keep them dry, don't let them sit in the rain.

What fails on these is mostly the solder joints on the male connector, or if it's a thermistor, water got past the seal.  Then insulation/wire.

The actual sensor almost never fails unless you bake it.

You can resolder the connector, and dry out the whole cable by putting it in the oven a few hours at 170F.

Good luck.
    Identify what it is - thermocouple or thermistor.  If it's a thermocouple, find out what type (Type-K, Type-J, etc).  Identify the name that describes the plug (1/8" phone plug or whatever.  Good news is that thermocouples are standardized on just a few types).

Then shop for it. Look at reviews, price, etc, but also look at the quality of the build.  Get one with insulation rated as hot as you can and as water resistant as you can.

You kind of get what you pay for.  The commercial stuff is expensive....for a reason.

But the best advice IMO, would be to take care of whatever you end up with.  The enemies are moisture and heat.   Don't ever use them in direct heat.  That includes any part of the wire.  Make a shield out of foil to give it a shadow between the plate setter and lip of the lid, for example.

Keep them dry, don't let them sit in the rain.

What fails on these is mostly the solder joints on the male connector, or if it's a thermistor, water got past the seal.  Then insulation/wire.

The actual sensor almost never fails unless you bake it.

You can resolder the connector, and dry out the whole cable by putting it in the oven a few hours at 170F.

Good luck.
    Informative post. 
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    Thanks @nolaegghead, probably got too much heat on wire. I'll be more careful and route wire over platesetter leg from now on.

I'm just going to replace the probes as base unit isn't likely the problem. I have replaced probes before on another unit, and besides plug length they seam to be pretty universal.