Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Concrete top Cedar Table

About four or five years ago, I built a cedar table with a concrete top.  It was...okay.  I stained and sealed it, and put it on casters.  I just screwed the support bracing directly to the 4x4’s.  It wasn’t incredibly stable, and suffered from slight racking. Also, the concrete top was 6 feet wide, 24” deep and two inches thick.  The top alone weighed 150 lbs.


 It did the trick, but then we moved.  I tried to disassemble everything but the top broke.  The Egg was fine, but I figured I’d start from scratch at the new place. 

So on in early September, I took down the Large, and the temporary table.  Stained the deck, and then started a new plan.  The new table needed to be: stable, have storage, have a prep area/table top, and be mobile.  We only plan to be in this house for about four years, and I’d like to take it with us when we go.

I cut eight 4x4’s, and joined them with half lap joints and lag screws.  The frame is exceptionally rigid and light. 



I cut melamine and created some molds for concrete 1.5” thick.  I sealed the edges with silicone and then mixed up concrete and poured it in each of the three molds. (two for the table top, one for the large) Then I shook the bejesus out of them to get the air bubbles out.  The table top is actually face down in the mold, so it takes on the smoothness of the melamine.  My garage floor isn’t level, so I had to use braces and shims to get it close.  I screeded off the excess concrete and then let it cure for three days. 



Once I got the table and concrete finished, I moved it to the covered deck.  Everything fit snugly, and I sealed it with a product called General Finishes Exterior 540.  Then I put 1x4’s around the exterior to wrap it.  

I didn’t like the way everything was open, but I didn’t want to add doors and hinges.  My solution was to add a rolling barn door.  Everything still accessible, but hidden.   I was pretty happy with how it turned out.  

Finally, after two freaking months of tinkering, parking in the driveway and waiting for a special order large table nest to arrive, I pulled Judith Large out of the shed and got everything installed.      

The center section holds my 17” Blackstone, propane tank and a bag of Rockwood.  Under the Egg, I have bags of wood chunks/chips, and the left side holds grid grippers, an ash tool and some griddle spatulas.  The Mini Max lives on that left side, but when I cook on it, I’ll move it to the center section since it’s close to the house.  Otherwise, that center section is a great spot for the griddle or (potentially) my Ooni pizza oven.  Although, I might opt against that.  





Pretty pumped about this.  I like the look of it, and it’s functional.  Looking forward to cooking on the Large for the first time in a while. 

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

Comments

Sign In or Register to comment.
Click here for Forum Use Guidelines.