Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Kiln posts to raise your water/drip pan

Options
Longtrain
Longtrain Posts: 48
edited November 2020 in EggHead Forum
My son being a ceramic engineer recommended these 1” kiln posts to provide an air space between the BGE platesetter and the water/drip pan. Tired of folder foil for the job.
About $20 on Amazon for a set of four 1” posts.

Comments

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,678
    Options
    Those are a great idea. Thanks
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    I use 3inch ones to get my pizza stone high in the dome.  
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Options
    Ceramic grill store sells them as well - I moved to these from the little green feet several years ago.  They work really well - and over time, more eco friendly and cheaper than foil balls. 
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Or you could just use three rocks.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    edited November 2020
    Options
    Longtrain said:
    My son being a ceramic engineer recommended these 1” kiln posts to provide an air space between the BGE platesetter and the water/drip pan. Tired of folder foil for the job.
    About $20 on Amazon for a set of four 1” posts.

That is what I use between my plate setter and pizza stone. I don’t go as high as ryantt though. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,407
    Options
    I use 1/2"  SS nuts.  Work great.  I also use an old paella pan as a drip pan and if I gapped much higher the pan would be up against the cooking grid.  Whatever works-thanks for the suggestion here.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    I use 1" copper plumbing elbows, though I have used even cheaper ceramic flower pot feet.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,537
    edited November 2020
    Options
    I use copper elbows and  SS nuts as well. Also cranked out a batch of pucks with leftover high temp mortar this summer. 

canuckland
  • Kayak
    Kayak Posts: 700
    Options
    Luckily for me, I broke my plate setter a while back, so I took a brick set to it and made myself a collection of ceramic rectangles.

Then I bought a pizza stone from CGS and that is my indirect setup now.

Bob

New Cumberland, PA
    XL with the usual accessories

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,494
    Options
    Those look pretty hard to set up, straight, >hic< after you've haad a fee dinks...

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...