Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Loin Curing Question

Options
I have made Canadian Back Bacon and posted a successful cook. 

I decided to do more and am in the process of curing a whole loin, cut into about 3 lb pieces.  I made the cure as recommended, placed them into the containers and refrigerated them for about 10 days to this point.  This morning I took the out to allow them to sit in the frig uncovered for 24 hours before smoking them.  My question is that a few areas of the loin are quite pink in color, not 100% uniform throughout the loin. Wondering if it’s ok to smoke like this or should I re-cure them for a little while longer?  I’m guessing that it may have pressed against the container and not fully accepted the cure?

Any guidance is appreciated, thanks...

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    at 10 days i would think its fine, slice off a piece and fry it
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Longtrain
    Options
    Fried up a couple of pieces, it was tender and very tasty.  Looks good.
  • bgeBill
    Options
    I did my first batch a couple months ago, so I’m no expert, but I was very happy with the results. 3 lb chunks, 10 days dry brine with tender quick and brown sugar. Flipped bag every day. Brining color was fairly uniform except at the edges. From what I have read, it was fine unless there was an area in the middle that was still light colored due to too short of time. You can check for that issue with your slice test. 

The other thing to remember is that there is lighter and darker types of meat on the loin that may not show the same brined color.  With 10 days, I can’t imagine your brining is incomplete.  

First picture is after brining. Second is finished bacon. 

Greenwood, IN. /  XL BGE   /  retired engineer 
  • Longtrain
    Options
    Yes, smoked mine yesterday, it was fine. There was a different color on the different types of meat on the loin.  Slicing it this morning, it was nicely pink throughout, used pecan for smoking, gave it a nice light flavor without overpowering.