Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Outdoor Coal Storage

Any suggestions on outdoor coal storage. I know it’s not ideal to do this but my garage storage is full after winterizing all the new outdoor stuff I bought this year

Comments

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,704
    Steve0 said:
    Any suggestions on outdoor coal storage. I know it’s not ideal to do this but my garage storage is full after winterizing all the new outdoor stuff I bought this year
    As long as it's kept dry, then you don't really have to worry about it.  Even if it gets wet, doesn't take very long to dry out.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,971
    In its bag, under the patio overhang, behind outdoor loveseat.  But it’s not humid.
    Not a felon
  • 5 gallon bucket with lid
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited November 2020
    I got this 5 gallon bucket at Home Depot. It has  a seal on the lid. It sits out year round and I’ve never had any issues

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• I got this 5 gallon bucket at Home Depot. It has  a seal on the lid. It sits out year round and I’ve never had any issues

Article 3, Section 4 of your HOA agreement says that you cannot have that bucket. Also, no offensive smoke going onto your neighbors property 
    Fighting off the trolls 1 by 1
    Large Egg

Pig, KY 
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited November 2020
    HogFather said:
    I got this 5 gallon bucket at Home Depot. It has  a seal on the lid. It sits out year round and I’ve never had any issues

Article 3, Section 4 of your HOA agreement says that you cannot have that bucket. Also, no offensive smoke going onto your neighbors property 
    Yikes, better tell the other 3 dudes living around me that have eggs. Oh and that one Traeger guy, and the green mountain grills guy, not gonna bother with the blaze gasser fella, no one likes him.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,787
    ck around for better price than Amazon

aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • brentm
    brentm Posts: 422
    My concern would be making the lump "sparky" by allowing it to draw in humidity.

At work we occasionally toss these 5 gal buckets with screw top lids.  They're for chlorine storage but after you wash them out, they'd be great to seal and store coal.  

They look like this.  https://www.amazon.com/Screw-Top-Bucket-Gallon-Heavy/dp/B01DALHBHK

Similar to the one above.  Now that I see the price. I'll have to dumpster dive more of them.  
  • I dump mine in a 60qt ice chest on wheels.  I can roll it around where I need to. I got me a large plastic scoop from tractor supply and I just grab a scoop or two and rock on. 
    1 large in challenger cart and 1 mini-max , too many dang accessories  

Baton Rouge LA 

• Steve0
    Steve0 Posts: 73
    Thanks!!  Looks like a lot of good options out there.  I usually keep a few bags on hand of different stuff.  Anyone try a garbage can?
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,723
    Steve0 said:
    Thanks!!  Looks like a lot of good options out there.  I usually keep a few bags on hand of different stuff.  Anyone try a garbage can?
    yes, I’ll send you a pic in a couple of minutes, the one I use looks nice and holds 2 bags.

Garbage can works too.  Just remember on containers with lids, you're not just sealing the moisture out, you're sealing it in too.  Unless you close that thing in a controlled environment, keep it there, and keep the sun from hitting it, you're going to have more issues with moisture than if it didn't have a top on it.  
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,723
    edited November 2020

Never had water get in and no humidity trapped in but I open it frequently (several times a week).

Manufactured by gomayne.com

It matches our planters.