Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

When does a gasket need replaced?

Options
A little background...
I bought my BGE (medium) used; I got a deal since I had to dig it out of the mud.  I cleaned her up real good and have been enjoying it since.  

Given that it wasn’t well cared for, how do I know when the gasket needs replacing?

Answers

• MO_Eggin
    MO_Eggin Posts: 282
    Options
    Mostly if you can't maintain desired low temps or shut down the egg.  Or if you want to...
    LBGE - St. Louis, MO; MM & LBGE - around 8100' somewhere in the CO Front Range
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    i have one egg with no gasket and one i need to add a gasket. leaking some smoke is not a problem, burning too much lump because it doesnt shut down fast enough is a problem. i can easily maintain low temps with either a gasket or a leaky no gasket
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • DanielWolfe
    Options
    Anybody have any experience with gaskets in freezing weather? I’m getting tired of replacing them because they freeze together.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    I went years without one mainly because I'm lazy. It would shut down and the lump would go out, so I saw no need to. Finally just did it.

I hear that if it freezes shut, You can open the bottom vent and sick in a parafin cube or some oiled paper towels and light it and it will catch the coals and the heat will unfreeze your gasket. Don't freeze much here in Texas, though. 

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,114
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Anybody have any experience with gaskets in freezing weather? I’m getting tired of replacing them because they freeze together.
    Put aluminum foil between the gasket after a cook.  Otherwise you will be building a tiny fire through the lower vent and waiting to melt it enough to open.

Or prop it slightly open after the fire has been snuffed.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Contact @RRP for a Rutland and it’ll be the only one you ever need. Just don’t pull a Wes Johnson. 
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Options
    Contact @RRP for a Rutland and it’ll be the only one you ever need. Just don’t pull a Wes Johnson. 
    Agreed.  The Rutland gasket has never given me any sticking problem.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    This. I have 3 on mine. They’re awesome and crazy cheap as far as upgrades are concerned. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• MotownVol
    MotownVol Posts: 1,040
    Options
    Totally agree with the last three opinions.   Contact Ron and get a very cheap replacement gasket that is much of an improvement over the original gasket.
    Morristown TN, LBGE and Mini-Max.