Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork butt smellin like dogfood after cook

Options
Just got my buddy into egging. Recently he bought a butt, and smoked it up for us last night. After being cooked he noticed it has a a kinda canned dog food smell. Not a bad smell but like a can of Pedigree or Dinty Moore. He also said he kinda noticed it when he first opened the cryopack. My wife’s cooked a butt before in the crock pot and we had this same outcome. Anyone else ever experienced this? Is it safe to eat?

Comments

• the_crease
    Options
    Sorry to hear about that.  I don’t like the smell of dog food so I’d toss it.  
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    My dog don't eat that good.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Options
    Pork butts and ribs can have a weird smell when you first open the cryovac pack.  I wash the meat and let it set out for a short while.  The smell has always disappeared.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Yup I got one from Kroger once but it wasn’t dog food smell. The date on it was fine but It smelled like sulfur. Letting it air out did nothing so I threw it in 3 kroger bags tied it up and took it back. They said they could smell it walking in the door and told me to go grab another one. The smell in my house dissipated after about 2 hours. I am cautious with pork butts now and always open them outside first.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Yup I got one from Kroger once but it wasn’t dog food smell. The date on it was fine but It smelled like sulfur. Letting it air out did nothing so I threw it in 3 kroger bags tied it up and took it back. They said they could smell it walking in the door and told me to go grab another one. The smell in my house dissipated after about 2 hours. I am cautious with pork butts now and always open them outside first.
    Had this same thing happen with costco ribs once. 
  • MasterC
    MasterC Posts: 1,373
    Options
    lol Yeah I had that happen to, but it didn't smell like dogfood.
    Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • MotownVol
    MotownVol Posts: 1,040
    Options
    I took one back once that was obvious spoiled, but well within date.  I smelled awful.  
    Morristown TN, LBGE and Mini-Max.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    At least it didn't smell like dog butt.