Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

American BBQ showdown (Netflix)

Options
Nice to see the egg as standard equipment for grill choice on the new series. What did you think it?

Comments

• ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    We watched the entire thing this weekend...really liked the show. Norah Grace was grossed out by the “game”...who eats raccoon? 
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 1,909
    Options
    I watched a couple episodes last night and having the egg there was really cool...I should finish the season this week.
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,027
    Options
    Is it like BBQ Pitmasters? That was almost hard to watch at times with the fake drama. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • unoriginalusername
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    Is it like BBQ Pitmasters? That was almost hard to watch at times with the fake drama. 
    its very much a made for tv series that has some manufactured moments 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    Agreed. I could only watch a few episodes of BBQ Pitmasters before I gave up. Probably will pass on watching American BBQ for the same reason.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Yeah I can only take so much manufactured drama

Plus it’s on at the same time as real housewives.  
  • EggObsessed
    Options
    To me, it's not nearly at "hokey" as BBQ Pitmasters.  The competitors are more helpful to each other, rather than all the smack talk of BBQ Pitmasters. I like it MUCH more.  It's not perfect, but I find it enjoyable to watch.
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    To me, it's not nearly at "hokey" as BBQ Pitmasters.  The competitors are more helpful to each other, rather than all the smack talk of BBQ Pitmasters. I like it MUCH more.  It's not perfect, but I find it enjoyable to watch.
    I agree I like the elimination tournament style and that it incorporates a lot of different styles not just turn in box competition style.  
  • 4TheGrillOfIt
    Options
    The guy on the first episode was hilarious—said he would pull his ribs at 175 😂.  Then he put asparagus tips in the smoker.  I was wondering what on earth the selection criteria was for the show...
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    A review I can respect.  Added to my watch list!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • EggObsessed
    Options
    Also, @smbishop, there's a guy on the show named Rasheed, that calmly and confidently cranks out beautiful and delicious looking food, typically based on his Carribbean roots, while a few of the others run around flapping their wings like a chicken with their head cut off. Several of them seem very, very inexperienced, and some of them don't produce very good food, but there's this lady that has dark hair, that you think you wouldn't trust her to cook a good hot dog, but even she has been very creative and can think outside the box. All in all, Bruce and I enjoy most any grilling show, and this is NOT the worst one we've seen.
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
    Options
    I started to watch it last night. I didn’t get too far but I didn’t give up on it yet. As @EggObsessed said, it isn’t the worst BBQ show I’ve seen. Will try to make it through the rest of episode 1 tonight. 

New Orleans LA
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Watch a few episodes. I thought it was more like a mix of BBQ PitMasters, Chopped and Green Acres. Not a fan. Probably won't watch it any more.

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited September 2020
    Options
    I’m watching the 1st episode now. My observations are:
    The female judge seems like a giant “B”  who is way to impressed with herself.

Half the contestants seem like
    morons and they don’t even know what the hell they are doing. 

Is Rutledge Wood the new white trash Ryan Seacrest where he hosts everything?

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Hoster05
    Options
    watched the first 15 minutes and turned it off.  made for TV personality show not to my liking.  
    Mankato, MN - LBGE
  • TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 1,909
    Options
    I tried to watch more of this last night and had to turn it off.    As TexasBGE2018 said, that female judge...well, let's just say I didn't enjoy her.   I won't be finishing the series.
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • BigGreenKev
    Options
    Made it through the first episode and not my favorite so far.  Seems a lot like Top Chef format.  With the amateur chef aspect of master chef.
  • BigGreenKev
    Options
    So part way into episode 3.  The 2 judges did just help out a competitor who had dirty smoke going.  So I do like the aspect that they will help them with the pit.  At the same time, they are now expecting bad smoke on her food come testing time.  They don't help a lot so I wish they weren't just watching the cooks and then expecting to taste in the food the problems they observed.  I'd rather see them go blind into tasting and then go back and watch footage and then give feedback.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    I am watching the second episode right now.
  • rekameohs
    rekameohs Posts: 263
    Options
    I’m watching the 1st episode now. My observations are:
    The female judge seems like a giant “B”  who is way to impressed with herself.

Just finished it last night. Was not a fan of any of the hosts.

I was glad the two finalists were the ones that made it to the end.  One of the finalists did whine quite a bit throughout the competition, but did make some nice dishes.  
    Raleigh, NC
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    I did break down and watch the series a couple of weeks ago. It was better than I expected in some ways and about what I expected in other ways. Can't say that the show left me with anything particularly memorable - I'd actually forgotten about it until I saw this thread was active again.

If I had to guess who the likely winner would be from just watching the first episode I would have guessed wrong but by the end of the show I would  agree that the winner showed they did deserve to.

I thought the judges were fine. I'm a fan of Melissa Cookston. She's won many a contest herself and knows what she is talking about. I bought her cookbooks a few years ago after having seen her on some of the bbq shows a while back.. Don't know why some thought she was a **** - was it just because she was direct in her comments?

I thought the cohost Rutledge was fine. I've only seen him  previously on the American version of Top Gear a few years ago and he seems like an affable fellow.

It's not must see tv but it was more interesting/informative than many of the bbq competition/reality shows I use to watch a few years ago.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk