Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Apple Wood Branch Question

Options
I've got a couple dead and dried apple branches from some trimming. I plan to cut them up for smoke. Should I remove the bark? And any other suggestions? I'll be cooking a pork tenderloin next week with it.
Thanks!
Somewhere on the Colorado Front Range

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,920
    Options
    I wouldn't bother - after all the apple chunks I buy have the bark still on it. Plus I left the bark on the peach tree trunk pieces I scored recently and they smoke beautifully!
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I have never peeled the bark. A former member here (stike) sometimes uses ONLY bark (shagbark hickory). Maybe @fishlessman too, not sure.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    Options
    I have cherry trees I harvest for the wood and never take the bark off.
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • Corv
    Corv Posts: 380
    Options
    Thank you. I'll just cut the branches into chunks and go for it. Appreciate the comments.
    Somewhere on the Colorado Front Range