Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket and Butt

I will be smoking a 16-18lb SRF Gold Grade Wagyu brisket, as well as a  Costco pork butt for a bbq this weekend on my XL with 2 levels. 

Do I go butt over brisket to let the pork juices baste the brisky or put the brisket on top?  Not sure if putting butt on top and having pork basting beef matters or not and/or will ruin bark.

Hasbrouck Heights, NJ

XL Egg

Comments

• Yeah, I'd be more worried about protecting the brisket bark, than on the pork. Are you going to make pulled pork from the shoulder? If so, bark won't matter on the pork.

Plus, I'm not sure I like the idea of pork flavor in the brisket ... 

The other thing is the pork will probably take 8h to cook ... the brisket 12h to 14h ... the timing might work that when you take the pork out, it will be time to wrap the brisket anyhow ... it will be close if you aim for 150F to 160F at the time of wrapping the brisket.
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • I did a smaller setup over labor day and did a 9lb brisket flat over the pork butt on a my large. Bark and flavor turned out great on both. The brisket got a little over cooked on the upper level but was still good. I only had one temp probe and put that in the pork, but should have done it in the brisket to monitor it more. 
  • Picking up a boston butt.  Around me, the butt is usually boneless tied with butcher string.  I usually don't worry too much about bark on a pork butt anyway.  Thank you for the advice.  You answered my question on timing as well.

Hasbrouck Heights, NJ

XL Egg
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    As above I always go brisket over butt.  I addition to the above comments, the brisket may take more attention during the cook than the butt so easier access up top.  And be mindful of the quicker cook time (in general) due to proximity to the dome and more reflective heat.
    Sounds like great eats await.  Have fun with the cook.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited September 2020
    Can you not fit them side by side? I can almost do it on my large. So surely you can on your XL

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• 4TheGrillOfIt
    4TheGrillOfIt Posts: 741
    edited September 2020
    If I was dropping the coin on a gold brisket, I think I’d want it to have the Egg to itself. 
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    edited September 2020
    I just loosely tent foil over whatever is on the bottom (probably the pork) and let it deflect the drippings.
    NOLA
  • Thank you all for the suggestions!!   In reply to 4TheGrillOfIt, The pork butt is going to serve as a distraction to the less knowledgeable bbq guests, so they don't eat all of my brisket.
    Hasbrouck Heights, NJ

XL Egg
  • DonWW
    DonWW Posts: 424
    "You answered my question on timing as well."  I am sure you know, but never cook to time, always temperature.  Nothing was mentioned about Egg temp, so it could be 4-5 hours or 10.  Just depends. 
    XL and Medium.  Dallas, Texas.