Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Roasting Fresh Hatch Chili Peppers

Options
Every August I head over to the local Central Market (H-E-B) to load up on Hatch chilies.  They sell fresh or already roasted chilies.  I always buy a bunch of the roasted chili peppers and freeze them, enough to last a year.  This year I also bought some fresh chilies and roasted them on the BGE.  Most seem to recommend that when you are done roasting, you place the chilies in a large paper bag to continue the steaming/cooking process.  I ran across a video of someone roasting Hatch chilies on their BGE but he was adamant that you need to stop the cooking process and he immersed them in ice water immediately after the roasting was complete.    Was just curious if anyone has an opinion on this.  Thanks.

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,403
    Options
    I will give you the lazy man Hatch roasting perspective- I get them in fly-over country later than most but at least they arrive.  I roast the advertised hot version til a good char on the skin.  Then I let them naturally cool.  (Here most will say, peel the skin.)
    Being lazy I don't do that.  I will retain those I expect to use for the next few weeks then freeze the remainder.  Clearly no purist here but ease of effort and the ensuing reward works for me.  
    Perhaps if I followed the true guidance it would be even better but I'm good with where I am.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • AZbge
    AZbge Posts: 96
    Options
    We freeze them with the skins on. When we defrost them later, the skins come right off. 
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,115
    Options
    AZbge said:
    We freeze them with the skins on. When we defrost them later, the skins come right off. 
    Do exactly the same.  I let them cool for a while  before vac sealing them 
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    Options
    I'm sure you *don't* want water anywhere near them. The flavor is mostly in the oil and putting any water on them will wash it away.
    Mountain View, CA