Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg’d Fried Chicken

Options
Watched a video from Ballistic BBQ last week and been dying to try it. So here we go 

So the dredge station consisted of Cornstarch, Club Soda and the flour mix.  I was intrigued with the Club Soda and the reaction with the cornstarch. It was a serious bubbling brew when the two met. 

Then onto the egg at 425 indirect and I started out up on the extender. After about 30mins I went out and checked and found the breading getting to dark. I think this was because of the reflective heat from the dome.  I moved them to OEM height and went about my business.  

After moving them down.  This was at about 40mins into the cook.  

Checked the temp when I was happy with texture of the breading and it was 190°.  So I pulled and left on a cooling rack for a bit 

Silly O’l plated pic.  I was more concerned with the chicken than sides today.  Lol

Thanks for taking the time to read.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.

Comments

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    It looks great. How do feel about the taste and texture?
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    @SciAggie - the taste was really good but I will not put any wood in next time. I used 1 chunk of apple this time and I think the breading just sucked it up.  Wasn’t terrible more like a lil tweak for next time.  The texture was the closest to actual fried chicken that I’ve ever come without frying it. Really crispy and when you bit the skin the breading stayed in place on the skin. I hope that makes sense. I guess I should’ve got a bite through pic but that’s just gross.  Lol. 

analyze adapt overcome

• SciAggie
    Options
    Thanks for the assessment. That looks like a recipe I’d like to try. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Mattman3969
    Options
    @SciAggie - Here’s the video if you’d like to watch 

https://youtu.be/doYyjpvCgx4

analyze adapt overcome

• fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,237
    Options
    Might have to try this....nicely done sir!
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    Options
    Matt, recently I've been doing something similar with cheekun, but about halfway through the cook I'd brush the parts with oil (top-side only, it soaks around the breading to the bottom side) and I get a really nice crunch, using only 2 tablespoons or so of oil.  Give it a try, and I'd be curious what you think.  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• Mattman3969
    edited August 2020
    Options
    @botch - I feel like such a dummy.  I have your thread bookmarked. I need to get better at checking here before I head out to the web. Lol. 

I went back and read the thread.  Looks like you didn’t have any breadcrumbs in the mix. I’m gonna try that.  I liked the looks of your crust vs mine.  

analyze adapt overcome

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    beautiful, matt
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Very nice, sir.

I've tried KFC (kettle fried chix) before, and liked it. We're not  big on deep frying, so this is definitely a happy medium. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Nice Matt 
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Mattman3969
    Options
    caliking said:
    Very nice, sir.

I've tried KFC (kettle fried chix) before, and liked it. We're not  big on deep frying, so this is definitely a happy medium. 
    @caliking - I’m gonna tinker with the P a bit after Re-reading @Botch thread on the same thing. I’m going to eliminate the breadcrumbs and mist with oil about 1/2 thru and go at felt level to help not to over brown   

analyze adapt overcome

• Mattman3969
    Options

Thanks for the compliments guys. This one is going to a work in progress till I nail where I like it.  

analyze adapt overcome

• SciAggie
    Options
    caliking said:
    Very nice, sir.

@caliking - I’m gonna tinker with the P a bit after Re-reading @Botch thread on the same thing. I’m going to eliminate the breadcrumbs and mist with oil about 1/2 thru and go at felt level to help not to over brown   
    This thread made me experiment. I had some skinless, boneless thighs that I soaked in buttermilk. Then I dredged in panko breadcrumbs with SPOG, chili powder, and paprika. I baked these in the egg at 400. About halfway through I sprayed them lightly with some canned vegetable spray to help them brown. 
    They didn’t taste like fried chicken but the crust had a pleasant crunch to it. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Mattman3969
    Options
    @SciAggie - anytime I’ve ever baked/fried and have gone with a lighter sticky binder like just a little oil I end up really crispy. Just the opposite when I’ve used eggs or buttermilk I seem to be less crispy and the coating wants to fall off to easily.  Yours looks incredible. 
      I think a lot of the taste will be from the extras you throw in the flour and delete the breadcrumbs. I doubt I’ll ever get the it was fried taste by going sans oil but I’m cool with that.  I also think a little cayenne will help my results.  Just spitballing here.  What you think?

analyze adapt overcome

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Matt....damn fine job. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • SciAggie
    Options
    I was happy with the result. The crust stuck well. I used buttermilk because I had some and didn’t have club soda. I’ll definitely try your recipe when I get the ingredients. I think the light spray of veg oil helped brown the crust and may have added to the crispness. 
    All of these permutations are healthier than frying. I’ll keep playing. Thanks for getting us all going. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Botch
    Options
    A couple of you guys mentioned misting/spraying with oil, halfway through the cook.  
    That's how I lost my right armhair; I use a brush.   :o 

• Mattman3969
    Options
    @Botch - are you runnin direct heat?

analyze adapt overcome

• SciAggie
    Options
    @Botch I am really careful - and this is an indirect cook. I agree it’s dangerous over any open flame. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • MasterC
    MasterC Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Great looking skin. Like where you're going with that. I will be trying that dredge line up. Nice looking results.
    Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • Botch
    Options
    @Botch - are you runnin direct heat?
    I usually do cheekun indirect.  

• JethroBodeen
    Options
    Can one of you post a link to the @Botch thread for comparison purposes? I searched with page after page of no luck....
  • Mattman3969
    Options
    Yep that’s it 

analyze adapt overcome

• Botch
    Options
    Must be it; "cheekun" is spelled correctly.  :tongue:  

• loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    I watched the video and did I miss what temp the PBS was?
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Mattman3969
    Options
    loco_engr said:
    I watched the video and did I miss what temp the PBS was?
    He didn’t say a temp. I went with 425 just cause. Lol

analyze adapt overcome

• craigsotheregg
    Options
    I tried this last night, I too noticed he didn’t mention the temperature. I went 400 with the grill at the felt line. I ended up raising it on the AR after 45 minutes to get it to brown more. Came out really good. Thanks for posting the video. 
    XL BGE
    Malden, MA