Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tri-tip Advice

Options
RickBland
RickBland Posts: 1
I’m experienced with an electric smoker, but today was my first time with the Egg. Tried tri-tip at 240-250 degrees until internal temp of 120 degrees, about 45 minutes. Seared at 600 degrees and internal got to 135-140 degrees. Let sit in aluminum foil for 30 minutes. Meat seemed tough when slicing and eating.

Would appreciate advice, feedback. Thanks.

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,505
    Options
    First up ; welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Above all, have fun.
    Reads like not your first tri-tip so if cooked to the same finish temp as before then I would assign the result to the protein.  Finish temp is what it is regardless of how you get/got there.  FWIW-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited August 2020
    Options
    RickBland said:
    I’m experienced with an electric smoker, but today was my first time with the Egg. Tried tri-tip at 240-250 degrees until internal temp of 120 degrees, about 45 minutes. Seared at 600 degrees and internal got to 135-140 degrees. Let sit in aluminum foil for 30 minutes. Meat seemed tough when slicing and eating.

Would appreciate advice, feedback. Thanks.
    Did you slice against the grain? I would also add that the rest in the aluminum foil  and carryover heat could have caused it to  overcook. I alway rest on a cooling rack until temp starts to fall before wrapping. 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.