Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I screwed up and need advice.

Options
While cleaning my egg and installing a new gasket, I either didn't have the zip ties tight enough or they were cheap, and when I removed the dome I wound up with the top band up.  I know there is no way to put it back down without bending it.  What's the best way to fix this?  My egg is about 20 years old, give or take a couple of years, and I'm thinking about putting a new band on.  I'm open to suggestions from experienced EGGsperts.  Thanks.

Comments

• JethroBodeen
    Options
    I may not be understanding correctly but cant you just remove the springs? A picture would be good..
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    If you are having trouble removing the springs tie a shoelace or rope to the hook on the spring so that you have something to pull on. Don't tip the egg over!
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Take a crescent wrench and adjust to the thickness of the plate that is on top of the hinge. Pick up on the wrench and the hinge will close.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • bigfoote
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions.  I've removed the old bands and while I'm waiting on the new band assembly to arrive, I will give my egg a good cleaning and put the new gaskets on.  Last week, before I took the dome off, I did a high burn that lasted a couple of hours and my plate setter and all the interior are almost completely white, looking like new.  Again, I appreciate the helpful comments.