Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Paver under table nest (but cut out in circle directly under BGE)?

Options
Hi all,

Curious to get feedback on an idea around trying to help deflect heat from the wood cabinetry. 

I'd like to get another layer of heat protection between the bottom of the BGE and the wood cabinetry. Unfortunately, I'd also prefer not to have to raise the egg another 3 cm (height of another quartzite piece under the Egg). 

I had a  thought that I'm curious to know if anyone has considered. What if I just had a circular cutout of quartzite directly under the large BGE that would be situated directly under the BGE but not a square that would sit under the table nest itself. 

Thought would be I'd get an added layer of protection from the heat directly under the BGE but not have to elevate the entire table nest which would throw off some height issues (and complicate lifting the Mini Max up on the right (which would essentially block my ability to control bottom damper effectively. 

Thoughts around this or anyone ever done that as option? I know it wouldn't provide as much protection as lifting the whole thing but would probably be sufficient. 

Comments

• Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843
    Options
    there is not a really a need to do so, that is a beautiful table and the air gap that you have will provide enough of a layer to protect it.  i have had mine in a table nest for 6 years on wooden tables and there is no issues at all.  

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Agree with the above and want to add Awesome looking table.  Is the quartzite called Monte Blanc? 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Shocka1
    Shocka1 Posts: 17
    Options
    @Kent8621 and @Mattman3969
    Thanks for the input. Table turned out great. My concern is that after one cook on the large and didn't even take it past 550 the table underneath browned in a circle from the heat. Maybe that's just the white paint that is discolored but it was enough to cause concern about the amount of heat penetrating to the wooden cabinets below that made me  concerned. 

@Mattman3969 it's actually Olympus White. 

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    My concern with only doing a circle of stone is that you’ll only have 3/4-1” of air space between the bottom of egg and the quartzite. I worry that the stone would heat up and give a concentrated area of warmth transferring to the wood below.  Did you feel or measure the temp of the wood while the egg was running?   

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
    Options
    If you add a tile but don’t raise the nest you are reducing an effective insulater - the air gap - and replacing it with a less effective insulater - the tile. 
    New Orleans LA
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    I think a stone under the nest (square or round) would look nice and give you more peace of mind. 
    I had the opposite issue.  I bought a used table from a guy who had it only resting on a piece of granite.  When we took it apart the material under the granite was significantly affected by heat. So, I now have a nest on top of stone and am happy with results.  I occasionally touch the stone when the egg is doing a long or high temp cook, and it's very hot, and that's with a nest sized air gap.
    Everyone's opinion seems to differ on this, but keeping heat away from wood is a good thing. It may not burn down the house, but even if it just turns the wood black that's probably not a good risk. $.02
    LBGE/Maryland
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,537
    Options
    blue skying here, incorporate water into something like this and slide it under the egg when you cook  =)

canuckland
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    You would get the opposite of what you want.  The situation you describe would increase heat transfer to the cabinet.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843
    Options
    Shocka1 said:
    @Kent8621 and @Mattman3969
    Thanks for the input. Table turned out great. My concern is that after one cook on the large and didn't even take it past 550 the table underneath browned in a circle from the heat. Maybe that's just the white paint that is discolored but it was enough to cause concern about the amount of heat penetrating to the wooden cabinets below that made me  concerned. 

@Mattman3969 it's actually Olympus White. 

i would guess its the table color.  if you are concerned about the table, increase the air gap, 2" is what mine are and no issues.  its dark brown but no paint bubbling or anything.  

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,521
    Options
    That table nest should protect your investment. The only thing I would do if you are worrying about it is slide a solid granite/marble slab, same/similar style to top, as a cover for that whole shelf area below the table nest. Yes, it will raise the egg 1/2" if you use the thinner slab cut ... so what.
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    What an absolutely gorgeous set up!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • tanner
    tanner Posts: 5
    Options

I have similar set up ,   I just drilled 5 or 6 holes under eggs .

• JethroBodeen
    Options
    Fire it up again and shoot the area with an infrared thermometer and reevaluate after having that knowledge. Maybe just the paint gave up...