Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: illy Coffee

Options
dbCooper
dbCooper Posts: 2,082
Watched a new to me TV show called Super Factories.  The episode I caught had a segment on the illy Coffee Company.  Giving thought to trying their beans but hesitant as price seems about double what I normally pay.
Anyone familiar with their coffee?  Thoughts on it?
LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
Great Plains, USA

Comments

• U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    It’s good, I would say it’s a premium brand but not boutique like some of the other small batch roasts out there.  It’s consistent and I like it better than like Starbucks beans. 
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    edited August 2020
    Options
    I use their espresso in my Bialetti Moka and love it. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,082
    Options
    @U_tarded and @GATraveller, thanks for the feedback.  Looks like I'll be giving it a try.
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • speed51133
    speed51133 Posts: 691
    Options
    good coffee is like 4 x the price of supermarket stuff
    XL BGE and Kamado Joe Jr.
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    Illy is very good Espresso coffee. Freshness is the problem for mainstream brands - buy beans and always look for a roasting date. I prefer small batches posted out weekly - super fresh and variety as well.
  • bradleya123
    Options
    Love my coffee but need to upgrade our machine.  We now use a Keurig but definitely want to upgrade our machine for better tasting coffee + espresso.  Anybody want to help me spend some money?  What machine should buy???
    Retired Navy, LBGE
    Pinehurst, NC

• TTC
    TTC Posts: 1,035
    Options
    Love my coffee but need to upgrade our machine.  We now use a Keurig but definitely want to upgrade our machine for better tasting coffee + espresso.  Anybody want to help me spend some money?  What machine should buy???
    There is a great thread about espresso machines here search for it and tons of info. At its suggestion used wholelattelove.com and got a Gaggia Classic Pro espresso machine and a Baratza Sette grinder. $1000 all in and worth every penny. No option for regular drip coffee but I’ve converted to espresso exclusively and am not looking back
    XL BGE, Blackstone, Roccbox, Weber Gasser, Brown Water, Cigars --  Gallatin, TN

2001 Mastercraft Maristar 230 VRS

Ikon pass 

Colorado in the winter and the Lake in the Summer
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    @bradleya123 - I ended up with a Super-Auto the Gaggia Brera and really like it. Here is a link to the thread mentioned above where everyone jumped in and helped when I was shopping. 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.