Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help / Suggested welcomed brisket point

Options
dgordon2nc
dgordon2nc Posts: 100
edited August 2020 in EggHead Forum
I've had limited success with brisket.  I've tried 3x now.  The first was a flat that I rushed.  The last 2 were full packers that came out ok -- not great -- but certainly not that amazing experience with brisket that I've had from restaurants/etc.  

I was in Costco today and I saw they had taken a few full packers and broke them down into smaller pieces for resale.  One was the flat and one was the point.  I decided to get the point and plan to cook this weekend.

First question -- the sell by date is the 15th and I plan to cook this on the 16th -- will that be issue?  I'm thinking no but I'd love confirmation.

Second question -- what is the advice on this thing?  I am thinking I could either do burnt ends or just cook it like a full brisket -- and pull it off when I'm getting the probe tenderness that I desire.  I'm leaning away from burnt ends -- just because I'd like to keep this as simple as possible.  My preference would be to just slice this.

Looking for advice on technique on temp/time/etc.  As far as rub goes, I'm just going to do a 50/50 mix of salt and pepper -- and maybe a little onion & garlic powder.

This looks to be mostly point -- but I'm sure there is some flat.  I was planning on minimal trimming.

Thanks very much in advance!

Comments

• loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    on the competition circuit they say the worst kept secret is Butchers BBQ brisket injection  B)
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,384
    Options
    You scored the best part of the packer (or cow for that matter). Now to answer your above questions:
    -No worries with the sell by date-many here (me included) wet age a packer for 3-4 weeks and some go much longer.
    -No way I would go with the burnt ends option.  Your call to run to the finish -line and then slice and enjoy is the way to go in my book.  Here's one thing to consider when declaring victory at the end of the cook, The point has a much higher fat content than the flat.  We all measure the finish-line when the flat probes smooth.  In the great majority of cooks that means that the point is a good 5-10*F higher in finish temp thus allowing for more fat rendering.  I would get the feel in the point and then give it another 20-30 minutes (assuming a below 300*F dome temp)  or so to let the fat render out.  This is a gut/eyeball jiggly brisket call for your info.
    Trim til it looks like you expect it to look.  Fat side down for me.  
    Rub of your choice.
    Cook time/temp as a packer adjusted for the weight.
    Above is just my input.  FWIW-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    Those Costco Primes cook fast. I cook at 225, wrap at 165, check for done at 198. 
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
    Options
    Toxarch said:
    Those Costco Primes cook fast. I cook at 225, wrap at 165, check for done at 198. 
    I think as @lousubcap said above all of the fat In the point is unlikely to fully render at 198. 
    New Orleans LA
  • dgordon2nc
    Options
    Thanks @lousubcap and everyone else for the feedback. I trimmed the hard fat off. Seasoned with mostly salt and black pepper with a little garlic and onion powder. Smoked with cherry wood chips. I started at a dome temp of 260 this am at 9 and gradually increased as the day went on until I got up to 290. I used my cyber q. I decided to wrap around 160 when I saw I was in the stall and I was getting worried about time. I pulled around 205 in the thickest part and probing was how I wanted it. Let it rest about 45 mins. By far, this was the best brisket I have ever done.  I know the bend test pic is sliced the wrong way.  Thanks again for all the help. I finally feel like I made an excellent brisket. Which was the one thing I hadn’t done on the egg! 
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,521
    Options
    That looks amazing.  Did you foil wrap or use butcher paper?
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • dgordon2nc
    Options
    Thanks!  I used heavy duty foil double wrapped. I have tried butcher paper before and it didn’t turn out like this. I have no clue of the foil made a difference or not. I only used it because I was getting worried about time and the stall. But given these results I think I might foil again next time.