Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cryovaced ribs sell by date

Options
So I bought some ribs a few months back. The sell by date is 5/16/20. They have been refrigerated in the original cryovac package since they came home. I know I’ve read on here about wet aging briskets and such in a similar manner. Should I just pitch these or will they be fine to smoke? Thanks. 

Comments

• dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    I’d pitch. 

Ribs are cheap. 
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    I cooked some Friday that had a expiration date of 8-15-20 and they already had a bit of a funk to them like rotten eggs.  I’d toss yours out 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    Beef or pork?

edited August 2020
    Options
    Beef will most likely be fine.  It will stink quite a bit when you open the bag but rinse it and it should be fine.  Trim bits that dont look good.  Stink is fine as long as it is not a bad stink.  I don’t know how to describe it but think of it as aged cheese, it smells bad but it is good.  If the bag is puffed, it may not be good.

Pork will stink even more (even if it is relatively fresh).  Not sure that I would eat aged pork.  I have seen some people posting about aged pork here but I’m not comfortable with that yet.

Options
    It’s pork, sorry for not clarifying that. With pork I agree that the smell test doesn’t really work. No matter when you open cryovaced pork it stinks, at least to me. And yes, 30 dollars isn’t changing my life. I appreciate the advice. Have a great day all. 
  • MotownVol
    MotownVol Posts: 1,040
    Options
    I agree to pitch if pork ribs.  I bought a butt a few years back that was about 4 days before the expiration date.  Took it home immediately and unwrapped it to cook.   The stink would knock you down.  I immediately took it back to the store
    for credit.
    Morristown TN, LBGE and Mini-Max.