Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Oldest eggs?

My eggs (large and small) are only about two months old.  The longest lasting grill I’ve owned is my Weber Summit NG, which is about to be 12 years old.  Tell me about your long lived egg or even other cookers.
«1

Comments

  • buzd504buzd504 Posts: 3,189
    edited August 1
    I got my egg in 2015, but my granpa bought his first bag of Rockwood in1921.  I still have a rock from that bag.
    NOLA
  • thetrimthetrim Posts: 10,704
    My XL is from 06.  I know there are many on here much older than that.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • JustBugginJustBuggin Posts: 53
    My oldest grill is a Weber Genesis at about 15 years and my egg is around 10 years old. The egg was given to me used so there is no telling how old it really is but I figure 3-5 years additional.
  • OhioEggerOhioEgger Posts: 632
    The main reason I got an Egg in the first place was because the damn gas grills never lasted more than a few years.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • I bought my large egg and my small egg in 04. In 06 I added a second large. All 3 eggs are alive and well and constantly being cooked on.
    Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.
  • LakieLakie Posts: 19
    I purchased my large egg in 1998. Still use it several days a week.

    Brookhaven, GA 
    One Large BGE and four bad Terriers
  • cookingdude555cookingdude555 Posts: 2,775
    On the egg front, I got my first large in 2009, and small in 2010.  A used mini that was pretty old followed after that.  It had the ceramic fire grate and ancient hinge style, so I am not sure exactly how old it is.  I have added several eggs since then, they last forever.

    John - SLC, UT

    Several eggs ..

  • stlcharcoalstlcharcoal Posts: 4,240
    My dad's medium BGE is a 1994.  My large BGE is from 2004, the XL is a 2010.
  • Florida Grillin GirlFlorida Grillin Girl Posts: 4,762
    edited August 1
    My first egg is from 1996. Here is the post I made about it showing the receipt:

    https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1199950/20-years-of-bge-ownership/p1
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 6 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!
     
    3 Large, 2 Smalls, 1 well-used Mini
  • RyanStlRyanStl Posts: 41
    Both of mine are used, the XL is definitely the older of the two. Wish BGE would have stamped a manufacture date because I m legitimately curious to how old they are.
  • lkapigianlkapigian Posts: 6,701
    RyanStl said:
    Both of mine are used, the XL is definitely the older of the two. Wish BGE would have stamped a manufacture date because I m legitimately curious to how old they are.
    Serial number in the lid ( inside )
    Visalia, Ca
  • RyanStlRyanStl Posts: 41
    lkapigian said:
    RyanStl said:
    Both of mine are used, the XL is definitely the older of the two. Wish BGE would have stamped a manufacture date because I m legitimately curious to how old they are.
    Serial number in the lid ( inside )
    I had no idea. I have to go out and see if it's legible.
  • HeavyGHeavyG Posts: 7,115
    OhioEgger said:
    The main reason I got an Egg in the first place was because the damn gas grills never lasted more than a few years.
    My Weber Genesis 2000 was 25 years old (and still working fine) when I passed it along a few years ago.
    Camped out in the (757/948/804)
  • lkapigianlkapigian Posts: 6,701
    RyanStl said:
    lkapigian said:
    RyanStl said:
    Both of mine are used, the XL is definitely the older of the two. Wish BGE would have stamped a manufacture date because I m legitimately curious to how old they are.
    Serial number in the lid ( inside )
    I had no idea. I have to go out and see if it's legible.
    You may have to do a clean burn, but it will still be there 
    Visalia, Ca
  • RyanStlRyanStl Posts: 41
    lkapigian said:
    RyanStl said:
    lkapigian said:
    RyanStl said:
    Both of mine are used, the XL is definitely the older of the two. Wish BGE would have stamped a manufacture date because I m legitimately curious to how old they are.
    Serial number in the lid ( inside )
    I had no idea. I have to go out and see if it's legible.
    You may have to do a clean burn, but it will still be there 
    Yes, I will. Can't make anything out. I see pizza in my future.
  • bubbajackbubbajack Posts: 577
    My neighbor has one old enough that it has brush strokes instead of dimples the outside finish. Could not take the insides out without a jack hammer. I moved to the hood in 1995, he had it when I got there. One of the reasons I have a egg or so.
    I drink cheap beer so I can afford good bourbon.

    Salisbury, NC...... XL,L,M,S, MM, Mini BGE, FireDisc x2
  • RRPRRP Posts: 23,312
    L and S 2000
    Med 2001
    Mini 2005
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • td66snrftd66snrf Posts: 1,763
    @OhioEgger I have to respectfully to disagree. I have a Fire Magic gasser that I've had at least 25 years and still cook on it at least a couple of times a week. Going to cook burgers on it tonight. I  agree if you buy a hundred dollar Home Depot special you're not going to get much longevity out of it. Don't get me wrong. I have five BGEs and have been cooking on kamados for over 40years but I'm not firing one up to do a couple dogs or burgers. Just my opinion. 
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 19,391
    Thinking about 2003 or 04
    Salado TX Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). 

  • JonWessonJonWesson Posts: 72
    Who has oldest chicken?  I got 12 yr. old rooster.  Still pumping it out, maybe his vegan diet?
    large small and mini all in legal proceedings but i can use them for now no more, all gone                                                                                                                        usa somewhere on the road
  • td66snrftd66snrf Posts: 1,763
    I have  a 30 year old Nanday  Conyure that I raised from an egg.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • josephjoseph Posts: 2
    my wife surprised me with my large in 2001, i thought she was nuts but turns out she started a cult.  got my medium in 2011 and my minimax 2015. our three kids all have at least one.  burgers/pizza's/nachos/steaks good eatin'
  • rekameohsrekameohs Posts: 147
    HeavyG said:
    OhioEgger said:
    The main reason I got an Egg in the first place was because the damn gas grills never lasted more than a few years.
    My Weber Genesis 2000 was 25 years old (and still working fine) when I passed it along a few years ago.
    Same here.  I wonder what brand those that post about poor quality gas grills have/had.  CR has regularly rated the Weber Genesis as a top grill.  My experience with Webers matches those recommendations.

  • RajunCajunRajunCajun Posts: 848
    Large, the largest at the time, 1999
    The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem.
  • dbCooperdbCooper Posts: 496
    Is originality required to qualify?  Large purchased in 2009 but... couple firebox replacements, new base in 2016 (I think), new bands in 2020.
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber
    Great Plains, USA
  • rekameohs said:
    HeavyG said:
    OhioEgger said:
    The main reason I got an Egg in the first place was because the damn gas grills never lasted more than a few years.
    My Weber Genesis 2000 was 25 years old (and still working fine) when I passed it along a few years ago.
    Same here.  I wonder what brand those that post about poor quality gas grills have/had.  CR has regularly rated the Weber Genesis as a top grill.  My experience with Webers matches those recommendations.

    It is my love of all things Weber that kept me from the Egg so long.  It took a giant tree limb crushing my Weber Performer to get on board.  As a replacement, I started looking at the Weber Summit charcoal since I already had a Summit natural gas.  

    In the end I opted for the large BGE.  I loved it so much I bought a small BGE a couple of weeks later.  I have been cooking like crazy since I bought them.
  • DawgtiredDawgtired Posts: 448
    1991 or 92. I’ve replaced the fire box a few times and a couple of grids, but still going along just fine

    If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

    Ronald Reagan

  • PigBeanUsPigBeanUs Posts: 152
    Older than you:


    I have a very PigBeanUs


  • RRPRRP Posts: 23,312
    RRP said:
    L and S 2000
    Med 2001
    Mini 2005
    You know, my quick reply didn't really tell much of the story...

    My wife and I bought the Large together in the Spring of 2000.

    She surprised me on my birthday with the Small and then the next year with the Medium.

    The Mini in 2005 was a totally out of the blue surprise gift!

    Reason be told...she discovered that I discovered how much cooking could be fun and she let me "take over the cooking"! =)

    Now, fast forward a few years and I started doing 80% of the cooking and now ALL the cooking outside and inside plus other meal preparations for over 5 years! But, she does do the dish washing...most of the time...




    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
Sign In or Register to comment.
Click here for Forum Use Guidelines.