Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket

Options
Triumph2016
Triumph2016 Posts: 5
Hi all. I’m a new “egger” and have been having fun with ribs, salmon, cod and now brisket. Thanks all for the recipes and suggestions. I made brisket twice. The first time I did 4.5 hours at 250, took it off and wrapped in foil and did another hour and then let it rest on a plate and it was very good. But I read how to make it better so this time I did 6 hours at 225 and then wrapped in foil and did another 2 hours at 200. Temp was 145 at wrap and 194 when removed. I then let it rest on a tray for 2 hours and when carves it was much fryer than I’d hoped. Not sure what happened? Note: my first one, I rubbed in seasoning and started cook 1/2 hour later. The second one (the more dry one) was marinated in spices and beer for about 3 days before cook. Also they were two halves of the same full brisket Any thoughts on what I did wrong? 

Answers

• Archcam
    Archcam Posts: 21
    Options
    Hi @Triumph2016. I smoke my briskets at 275ºF, which shortens the cooking time somewhat.  I put a small pan of water in the Egg with the brisket as well, though I'm not sure it's necessary.  I usually Texas Crutch (foil-wrap) 'em as you do, fat-side down, usually adding some coffee to the brisket before wrapping it up.    Not sure why your second brisket dried out. Maybe the alcohol in the beer evaporated quickly, taking some of the other moisture with it? That's just a guess.

Of course, I'm responding a year after you posted this, so you've probably already figured all of this stuff out and have been making awesome briskets, but just in case, I hope this helps.