Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Quick SMOBOT Question

Options
Going to do my first smobot cook today (turbo ribs) and was wondering if i need to protect the damper wire from contact with the dome?  I've searched previous smobot posts and found only one mention of a problem and one solution (Nite Ize Loop tie has been ordered).  I could sheath the section of the wire that drapes on the dome with HDAF.  What say you smobot-ers?

Kevin

Beautiful Santa Ynez Valley, CA
XL BGE, Woo2, AR

Comments

• Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
    Options
    I’ve never done so. Not sure it is necessary on a low temp cook. But I don’t know what temp you will be cooking at...
    New Orleans LA
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    Options
    For temps where you're using a Smobot in the first place, I don't worry about it (and I've never not been able to place my hand on the dome).  
    Yet, I've got the old-style "slat" side tables and I always drape and tug the damper wire between the slats, so it's not touching, "just in case".  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• JNDATHP
    JNDATHP Posts: 461
    Options
    I e gone up to 500 degrees with the damper wire draped on the dome with no adverse results. 
    Michael
    Large BGE
    Reno, NV
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    I cook at 350 for hours using my smobot. I’ve never shielded the wire. 
  • 55Kevy
    55Kevy Posts: 235
    Options
    Thanks for the input everyone.  Last night's cook went fine and the smobot (of course) performed excellently.  I did wrap a little HDAF around the damper wire just in case.  The ribs turned out great (no pics so it didn't really happen).  The only issue is my wifi doesn't extend out to where the egg is, so no connectivity and no cool graphs.  I'm looking in to extending the wifi.

Kevin

Beautiful Santa Ynez Valley, CA
    XL BGE, Woo2, AR