Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza - cauliflower crust

Options
The egg is “nestless”while I’m building a new table but still had a moment to bake a few pizzas and warm up some zucchini bread this evening. Frozen cauliflower crust, home made pizza sauce, mozzarella, sausage and a few jalapeños. Stone at 450, about 9 minutes. 

Had my egg since 2012 and still haven’t ventured into the home made dough experience. 
A week vacation next week with no where to go, provides plenty of time for my table build. A silver lining to everything. 

Comments

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    Had mine since 2010, and have never tried a Cauliflower crust.  
    What did you think about it?  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    blasphemy!!! 😂

Options
    Botch... enjoyed it much better on the egg than those I’ve had in the oven. Have to like thin crust pizza though. The flavors of the toppings over power the taste of the crust. I can’t say I prefer it over the dough of the calzone I get at our local Italian eatery, but Dr thinks it’s better for me. I’d say the egg makes it an enjoyable substitution. 
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Watch the carbs on that cauli crust. It packs in quite a lot from what I remember. My wife thought it would be a healthy option for me. Had to look it up. 30g of carbs for a 1/3 of the crust. Does look good though.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Nice lookin pie right there. I’ll do without first. One of the pleasures of life is bread and associated products. That is a great lookin pie though. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I’ve used those crusts. I like them. We go with goats cheese. Doesn’t melt real well and a little goes a long way, but suppose to be better for ya. Like that’s any fun. 
  • speed51133
    speed51133 Posts: 691
    Options
    if you are doing it for carbs, make it yourself. the store bought ones have just about as many carbs as flour.
    XL BGE and Kamado Joe Jr.
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    That’s because most of the commercial versions contain lots of flour. 
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Cashfan
    Cashfan Posts: 416
    Options
    The Cali'flour brand crusts are low carb and not too bad, plus they have multiple flavors.
  • danlbrown
    danlbrown Posts: 84
    Options
    Think you’re being healthy until you’re told different. Will have to give the Cauli’Flour brand a try. Thanks for the input. Does anyone have a good recipe for a low carb crust ?
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited July 2020
    Options
    I made a homemade cauliflower crust pizza once. Once. Wasn't horrible, but it wasn't pizza. Recipe I used was billed as the best ever. Umm, no.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• bradleya123
    bradleya123 Posts: 466
    Options
    My wife is gluten free so we've eaten that pizza a lot of time.  It's better when cooked on the Egg!!
    Retired Navy, LBGE
    Pinehurst, NC

• Wooderson
    Wooderson Posts: 354
    Options
    Intrigued........ find it at most groceries stores?
  • speed51133
    speed51133 Posts: 691
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Its a long process to DIY and the final result is not a crisp crust. It is almost like really thin, damp bread (at least the 10 times I've done it). You need to squeeze all the water out of it and almost need a press. Here is one recipe that is different. Maybe one day I will try it...
    https://www.wholesomeyum.com/easy-low-carb-cauliflower-pizza-crust-recipe/
    XL BGE and Kamado Joe Jr.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Wooderson said:
    I think only Walmart around here. Sadly. It’s the best one we’ve found. 
  • bradleya123
    bradleya123 Posts: 466
    Options
    Wooderson said:
    It's at Harris Teeter here in Pinehurst.
    Retired Navy, LBGE
    Pinehurst, NC

• danlbrown
    danlbrown Posts: 84
    Options
    Ingles in Northeast TN. I agree...much better on the egg.