Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT= Portable refrigerator for the patio?

Options
caliking
caliking Posts: 18,732
I'm considering buying a portable refrigerator/freezer to take on trips (e.g. Dometic, ARB, etc.) and figured I could use it outside by the pool (under a patio) when not travelling. But, I'm not sure how those do when plugged in continuously, like an outdoor or indoor fridge is. 

Any thoughts/suggestions would be welcome. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.

Comments

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,631
    Options
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    Last weekend our camping neighbor had a self built sprinter van rv.  He had a large ARB fridge in there.  Basically said it had been running non stop for 2 years, but that is inside his insulated van so I don’t know if that helps much. 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,360
    Options
    A coworker had an ARB on his sailboat that was run 24/7/365 via AC when docked and DC/solar when sailing. Never had problems.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    The folks on the Land Cruiser forums love their ARB fridges.  I have no experience though.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,818
    Options
    i had a dorm fridge outside on the deck a good 10 years, i think my sister ended up with it. a good purchase at 75 bucks, survived college, survived the deck. about 5 cu ft
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • speed51133
    speed51133 Posts: 691
    edited July 2020
    Options
    are you thinking about a thermoelectric refrigerator (do not use a compressor or refrigerant)?? or just a small fridge?

https://www.thecoolerzone.com/best-thermoelectric-cooler/
    XL BGE and Kamado Joe Jr.
  • caliking
    Options
    i had a dorm fridge outside on the deck a good 10 years, i think my sister ended up with it. a good purchase at 75 bucks, survived college, survived the deck. about 5 cu ft
    I have thought of that in the past, but figured I may get more use out of the portable fridge/freezer for trips, etc. 

The ARBs and Dometics are pricey. I ordered this form Costco:
    https://www.costco.com/massimo-cx50-12v-portable-e-kooler.product.100566509.html

I'll return it if it craps out in less than 7 years :)  Will probably end up with one of these that has a rechargeable battery, and a solar panel to charge it.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,818
    Options
    caliking said:
    I have thought of that in the past, but figured I may get more use out of the portable fridge/freezer for trips, etc. 

The ARBs and Dometics are pricey. I ordered this form Costco:
    https://www.costco.com/massimo-cx50-12v-portable-e-kooler.product.100566509.html

I'll return it if it craps out in less than 7 years :)  Will probably end up with one of these that has a rechargeable battery, and a solar panel to charge it.

thats a much better price than the ones i just googled.  i liked the fridge though, had all the condiments out there. after college that fridge stayed out there through our winters as well, i dont know how it kept running come spring when it got plugged back in.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    Options
    I have had a 24x24 cube portable in constant use for over 20 years. 8 of those were outdoors.
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • caliking
    Options
    I have had a 24x24 cube portable in constant use for over 20 years. 8 of those were outdoors.
    Deets? 24” high won’t fit under the truck’s tonneau cover, but I’m interested in that size, if the price is right. 

• caliking
    Options
    are you thinking about a thermoelectric refrigerator (do not use a compressor or refrigerant)?? or just a small fridge?

https://www.thecoolerzone.com/best-thermoelectric-cooler/
    The thermoelectric units can only cool down to a certain temp, depending on the outdoor temp. So, 40F below ambient temp , in TX during the summer,  is 50F-60F. I'm looking for a unit with a compressor that can freeze or refrigerate, as needed.

The ones with Danfoss compressors are pricier than the ones with LG or Chinese compressors. 

I bought the Massimo because of Costco's return policy. It's apparently a rebranded Alpicool product, which gets decent reviews on Amazon.