Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Charlie’s Gone

Options
ryantt
ryantt Posts: 2,532
Charlie Daniels has passed.   Devil went down to Georgia is a classic 
XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

Comments

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    That is a big bummer. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,044
    Options
    Massive gut punch.  Loved Charlie Daniels.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,343
    Options
    Just heard that on a local sports talk radio station.  Tough news.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,081
    Options
    Big loss there, sad to hear.  "Uneasy Rider" and "Long Haired Country Boy" we're a couple favs of mine by him, with the original lyrics.
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    Options
    ouch, that hurts
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    Dang.
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,356
    Options
    He did a concert for all the recruits when I was in boot camp for the Navy. It was a great couple of hours getting away from everything at the time.
    Las Vegas, NV

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    Oooh, this one hurts.  I play fiddle, and Charlie was a big influence on me over the years.  Even when I switched from country to rock, I still had the fiddle on stage for a couple tunes (Orange Blossom, Black Water, Devil Went Down to Georgia).  
    RIP, Charlie.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    Options
    The South’s Gonna Do it Again...  RIP
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
    Options
    I saw him as the warmup act for another band. I’ve long since forgotten the other band but his performance was unforgettable. 
    New Orleans LA
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,296
    Options
    I saw him in person once. He threw a free concert on the beach side park after Katrina. A true gem and he will be missed.
  • TTC
    TTC Posts: 1,035
    Options
    He was a fantastic musician and an even better person. He’s lived in the next town over from me all his life. Gave his time/talent/effort to a slew of good causes. 
    XL BGE, Blackstone, Roccbox, Weber Gasser, Brown Water, Cigars --  Gallatin, TN

2001 Mastercraft Maristar 230 VRS

Ikon pass 

Colorado in the winter and the Lake in the Summer
  • CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
    Options
     Every Summer I went to Englishtown NJ to watch the Summernational Drag Races at Raceway park. We camped over and one night we always hit the beach at Asbury park. One year (in the '80s) we stumbled into the CDB playing at the Stone Pony bar. Such luck! They were the tightest band I had ever heard perform live. I enjoyed it immensely. RIP to a legendary performer.

LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • Botch
    Options
    Charlie's first national hit was Uneasy Rider, a fun spoken tune about a coupla hippies who stumble into a redneck bar.  
    In 1988, himself now a redneck, he recorded Uneasy Rider '88, about a coupla rednecks who stumble into a different kind of bar.  If you haven't heard this, give it a listen, it's hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1AL2V02oTw

:lol:  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Sad news for sure!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited July 2020
    Options
    So many good songs.  Heading to Spotify to spin a few.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,361
    Options
    Saw him one time about 40 years ago, had a friend into country wanted me to go with him. Glad I did it was great. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,617
    Options
    I like that one song he had, where he kind of talked instead of sing.  It was a big deal
    when I was in middle school.

@Botch can’t believe you posted that.  Damn.
  • gonepostal
    gonepostal Posts: 711
    Options
    Somehow missed this today until i checked this site. Was actually expecting the loss of your dog Charlie. Day after a holiday/Sunday for us so never checked the news feed on the phone. Was the very first time for me listening to the 88 version of Uneasy Rider. Didn't care for it. But comedy is often politically incorrect. 
    Wetumpka, Alabama
    LBGE and MM
  • Botch
    edited July 2020
    Options

Legume said:

I'm a bit confused, my first or my second post?  
    And, as @gonepostal mentioned, yeah my second post IS politically incorrect.  
    I grew up in SD/MN, and we threw around norwegian/swede/german jokes all the time, and we ALL laughed at them.  If I've offended anyone here i apologize.  
    But I don't get it.  

Time for me to take a "time out"?  

• lentsboy007
    lentsboy007 Posts: 416
    Options
    dbCooper said:
    Big loss there, sad to hear.  "Uneasy Rider" and "Long Haired Country Boy" we're a couple favs of mine by him, with the original lyrics.
    Long Haired Country boy is my favorite by him as well 

1 Large Egg, Blackstone griddle

Belgium...........The Netherlands??

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Charlie Daniel's had a true love for his God and his country. A real patriot. I hate to see him go. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Legume
    Options
    Botch said:

Legume said:

I grew up in SD/MN, and we threw around norwegian/swede/german jokes all the time, and we ALL laughed at them.  If I've offended anyone here i apologize.  
    But I don't get it.  

Haha - no time out, not on my account. It was the second post I think.  I listened to it, just was surprised, as in I can’t believe Botch posted that.  Current climate, just seemed a little clumsy to me, just my opinion.  Kind of surprising he’s got national treasure status with some, but we all have our tastes.

On another note, Ennio Morricone passed today.  He is a true giant in the world of music.  To me, anyway.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Legume said:
    Botch said:

Legume said:

But I don't get it.  

Haha - no time out, not on my account. It was the second post I think.  I listened to it, just was surprised, as in I can’t believe Botch posted that.  Current climate, just seemed a little clumsy to me, just my opinion.  Kind of surprising he’s got national treasure status with some, but we all have our tastes.

On another note, Ennio Morricone passed today.  He is a true giant in the world of music.  To me, anyway.
    Ennio is Italian though.  Although, his scores from Clint Eastwood's early Westerns were amazing and should have earned him honorable citizenship.  That was when I learned who he was.  Not super familiar with his other material.
  • Legume
    Options
    Oh man, the Untouchables score is incredible. Hateful
    Eight, Once Upon a Time in America.  So many Westerns.

Don’t mean to derail.  Carry on.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Legume said:
    Oh man, the Untouchables score is incredible. Hateful
    Eight, Once Upon a Time in America.  So many Westerns.

Don’t mean to derail.  Carry on.
    Did not realize he did Untouchables and Hateful Eight.  Those were also great.

Agree though, carry on with CD.