Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

XL Band Assembly

Options
Anyone here fought issues with the bands on the XL BGE? I have dealt with an underbite and ~.25” gap in the back of the egg for 2 years now. Decided I would finally try and tackle the fix this weekend. After research on this forum and YouTube, I found a few helpful tips - but to no avail. I can’t tighten the bottom band without the band popping up off the base. Have tried applying pressure to where the band pops up while tightening, but still no luck, it just pops right back up when the pressure is relieved. It’s almost as if the egg itself is out of round. Any tips, thoughts, suggestions?

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Yes, it is a manufacturing error. The side arms are not slotted enough and force the lid to move. They made replacement arms with longer slots which I my experience completely resolved the issue. It was a run of hardware a few years ago and was resolved, but not before many were sent out with the faulty hardware. Your dealer should be able to get the parts through their distributor. They won’t likely have the parts on hand but can get them. If not I would contact corporate and explain the issue as I have framed it for you and they should surely know the parts you need. Again it is the two hinged side arms and your slots on yours are not long enough. The lid lifting up in the back is very frustrating and this will fix it. In the short term, removing one of the spring assists will help. 
  • XLAggieEgger
    XLAggieEgger Posts: 22
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Update: 

Had a guy from Ace Hardware come out with a warranty replacement for new bands (the new bands had the updated slot design for the side arms). He was having the same issue I was while installing the new bands - the bottom band would slip up and off the base during tightening. He's going to get in contact with their BGE rep. We did notice that there seems to be a bit of taper on the base and dome - see attached image. This may or may not be normal, but at this point I am grasping at straws.

• pgprescott
    Options
    Obviously not being there in person leaves me at a bit of a disadvantage. That said, I would think the bands would conform to a slight taper just fine. Of course, I could be wrong. Just need to tighten whilst holding them in place. The spacers should help. I snug things up and always tighten the bottom first. I would tighten bottom 75% and then catch the top up while making sure the alignment is good. Then the rest of the way on the bottom again followed by the top.  Keep in mind they need to be tightened to the point that the bolts (grade 5) deform. Many people think they have tightened the bands adequately when they haven’t. Never heard of someone breaking the ceramics. Don’t fret. When you look down at the ends of the bolts they should point outward slightly with a noticeable bend in them from tightening. 

• XLAggieEgger
    Options
    Unfortunately, I have followed the protocol you just described over and over again - to the point of shearing the threads on the bolts from repeated loosening and tightening. The assembly guy from Ace Hardware performed the same actions with the new band, new spacers, etc. at least 5 times before throwing his hands in the air. I will be anxiously awaiting feedback from their BGE rep for a resolution. 
  • pgprescott
    Options
    Unfortunately, I have followed the protocol you just described over and over again - to the point of shearing the threads on the bolts from repeated loosening and tightening. The assembly guy from Ace Hardware performed the same actions with the new band, new spacers, etc. at least 5 times before throwing his hands in the air. I will be anxiously awaiting feedback from their BGE rep for a resolution. 
    I’ve heard of ceramic haunches being bad, but it very rare and I think it’s been a while. How old is the egg? Sounds like you need new top and bottom maybe. That’s bad luck for sure. 
  • XLAggieEgger
    Options
    Only 2 years old! Ive fought the underbite and gap in the back since receipt. I always did small little fixes that never lasted more than a cook, but never to the point of disassembly and reassembly until last weekend. That's when $#1% hit the fan
  • pgprescott
    Options
    Only 2 years old! Ive fought the underbite and gap in the back since receipt. I always did small little fixes that never lasted more than a cook, but never to the point of disassembly and reassembly until last weekend. That's when $#1% hit the fan
    The underbite and back gap will be completely resolved by the longer slotted side hinge assembly. The beveled haunches is another issue. Far more rare and I assume its a result of the casting form being dirty or near its end of life? Good luck. Sucks that you had two problems all this time, but it should be over soon.