Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lemon pepper wings.

Options
Hey guys.  Happy 4th.  Going to smoke some wings tomorrow.  In the past I usually brine in buttermilk and indirect smoke.  I want to do lemon pepper.  Should a toss the wings in the LP before cooking?   Direct or indirect cooking?   Thanks for the help.  

Comments

• txhawkeye
    txhawkeye Posts: 279
    Options
    Is the lemon pepper a dry or wet rub?
  • etherdome
    etherdome Posts: 471
    Options
    I just toss the wings in olive oil and lemon pepper dry rub prior to an indirect smoke at 300-350 for an hour.  Crisp them up in the oven afterward  at 450 for 5 min or so  .
    Upstate SC
    Large BGE,  Blackstone, Weber genesis , Weber charcoal classic
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Hit em with the LP and smoke em at 400-425 high in the dome to capitalize on the reflective heat from the dome. Direct or indirect is your choice but with a bunch of wings indirect makes it easier.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Sweet100s
    Sweet100s Posts: 553
    Options
    Hit em with the LP and smoke em at 400-425 high in the dome 
    When indirect, how long do you smoke the wings at 425 ?
    Also, there's no need to go any higher than that to make the skin crispy, right?
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited July 2020
    Options
    @Sweet100s - I’m guessing around 35-45 mins.  I never really time it on wings. I just pull when the skin gets where I like it. It’s hard to overcook a wing unless you just char it to death. If you question about higher is about height of the grid, I use the extender which is about 4” above felt. 

If your looking for more smoke profile start your cook at a lower temp, say 275-300 and let it creep up to 425 or so 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.