Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brined Butt for the 4th

Options
Brining a butt for the 4th. Looks like I won’t be eating until the 5th but that’s ok. This is my first brine - using brining salt and molasses. Hopefully will hit the Egg very early tomorrow morning. 
New Orleans LA

Comments

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    Going Alton Brown on us eh?
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Going Alton Brown on us eh?
    That’s pretty astute of you! Yes even down to his rub. 
    New Orleans LA
  • Dondgc
    Options
    Lit the grill about 3am. Then pulled the butt out of the brine shortly before 5 - just over 12 hours of brining.  Rubbed down with Alton Brown’s rub mixture then finished with peach preserves (which are not part of AB’s recipe but seemed like it might be a good flavor match). Photo is with the preserves shortly before hitting the Egg. The Egg is set at 250 but running a little hot at the moment. Everything is looking good for pulled pork for dinner at this point. 
    New Orleans LA
  • lightningque
    Options
    looks good can't wait for pics of the finished product.   I have been making breakfast sausage with Altons recipe and its pretty darn good.  let us know how you like this method/rub. 
    1 large in challenger cart and 1 mini-max , too many dang accessories  

Baton Rouge LA 

• Dondgc
    Options
    13 hours later.  About to call it done. A few more minutes to 203 but looking good. 
    New Orleans LA
  • Dondgc
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Served on Hawaiian rolls with a peach BBQ sauce my wife made. I found the pork a little salty (she did not) but the sweetness of the sauce completely balanced the saltiness. It was a good meal and a nice close to the July 4th weekend. 
    New Orleans LA