Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Deep Dish Pizza Uncooked Question

Options
WeberWho
WeberWho Posts: 11,030
It's my mom's birthday today. So I'm going to put together a deep dish pizza for my parents. My plan is to put together here at the house and go and drop it off uncooked. 

Should I keep the sauce off the dough until I go and deliver it? Can I put it all together now and wrap it in plastic wrap and not have to worry about it? I'm just not sure how the sauce will affect the dough.

Thoughts?

Thanks

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota

Comments

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    On a deep dish, put your sausage and cheese on before the sauce. When you get ready to cook, dust the top with some Parmesan cheese and fresh basil. No problem. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • WeberWho
    Options
    On a deep dish, put your sausage and cheese on before the sauce. When you get ready to cook, dust the top with some Parmesan cheese and fresh basil. No problem. 
    Thanks. I've made it a few different times but I've always cooked it after adding sauce. Can I assemble the pizza and have it sit with the sauce combined in the fridge for 3-4 hours? Will the dough become soggy with all sauce sitting in it while in the fridge?
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Traditional deep dish is assembled dough, cheese, sausage, and then sauce on top.  Sauce should not be in contact with the dough. 
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• WeberWho
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Traditional deep dish is assembled dough, cheese, sausage, and then sauce on top.  Sauce should not be in contact with the dough. 
    For sure. I'm just wondering if I should wait on putting sauce on it early. Can I have a uncooked ready to bake pie assembled in the fridge for 3-4 hours or should I keep the sauce off it until it's ready to go in their oven. I just wasn't sure that if the sauce sits of top will soak into the dough around the sides of the pie. 

I'm probably over thinking it and can be assembled hours early in the fridge until it's time to bake them. I just wasn't sure if the sauce on top would mess anything up and hold off on it.

Minnesota
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    For sure. I'm just wondering if I should wait on putting sauce on it early. Can I have a uncooked ready to bake pie assembled in the fridge for 3-4 hours or should I keep the sauce off it until it's ready to go in their oven. I just wasn't sure that if the sauce sits of top will soak into the dough around the sides of the pie. 

I'm probably over thinking it and can be assembled hours early in the fridge until it's time to bake them. I just wasn't sure if the sauce on top would mess anything up and hold off on it.

Since the sauce goes on last anyway, can't you just put it in a jar and pour it on at the last minute?

I like a good bit of sauce (or oil) on my regular pizzas, and I find it can definitely make them soggy.  I've taken to parcooking my sourdough crusts for a couple of minutes to firm them up and make them bubbly (not suggesting you do that, but to the point about sogginess).

I'd keep the sauce separate until the last minute.
    NOLA
  • WeberWho
    Options
    buzd504 said:
    WeberWho said:

Since the sauce goes on last anyway, can't you just put it in a jar and pour it on at the last minute?

I like a good bit of sauce (or oil) on my regular pizzas, and I find it can definitely make them soggy.  I've taken to parcooking my sourdough crusts for a couple of minutes to firm them up and make them bubbly (not suggesting you do that, but to the point about sogginess).

I'd keep the sauce separate until the last minute.
    Thanks. Will do!

Minnesota