Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Looking for BGE table ideas

The original table I bought with my BGE is starting to rust out so time to do something before a real problem. This is the current setup. 
Constructed the patio and dry stack wall 3 years ago. With the exception of the stone that the egg is sitting on the patio slopes for drainage. The 3-1/2’ x 6-1/2’ rock that the egg sits on is leveled to less than an 8th of a bubble on a 4 foot level and hasn’t moved in 3 years. An GFI is buried in the corner section of the wall for easy access. 

I’m looking for ideas and suggestions for a new table. I do like the stainless top for ease of cleaning and between it and the rock topped barrel, it generally is enough surface area but having a bit more and some storage might be nice. I’m thinking a wood table since I do a bit of wood working. 

This simple table has served me well since purchased in 2012, but since I need to replace it,....

I’ve read quite a few blogs about a paver under the base, and concerns of table temp during hot cooks but anything I can learn regarding designs, lessons learned etc might help me get it right the first time. 

Thanks

in northeast TN so deep frost is not a problem. 

Comments

• loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    might give this site a look:  http://www.nakedwhiz.com/TableGallery/tables.htm
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,510

Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    @Tspud1 tables are awesome 
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • daffy1909
    daffy1909 Posts: 498
    Made this one a few years ago, on casters so it was moveable, just expanded the table to longer(8’) 
  • omahazim
    omahazim Posts: 1
    A different table idea
  • danlbrown
    danlbrown Posts: 84
    that’s is different but interesting. Pretty neat. How high is the felt from the floor? Mine currently is 36” but I’m thinking of making it a few inches higher. 
  • danlbrown
    Daffy1909.  That pretty nice also. Is the top onset tiles?
  • danlbrown
    After looking at lots of plans I started on my table. A week of vacation this week so time to get it done. 
    I like the metal top of my old table so incorporated that. 

Will add 13” butcher block on. the right side to gain a bit more table space. ( 13” only because thats the size of my planer). 

Picked up some barn board for facing. Cleaned up a few to see what I had. 

Since using wood I’ll have to get a cover. Pretty much at the green egg plan dimensions. Any suggestions of less expensive sources of covers?

• Mark_B_Good
    Montana Grill Covers ... I bought the Arcacia Table for my XL BGE, and they didn't have the BGE covers in ... so I did a McGuiver and found a Montana Grill Cover that worked ... honestly, it's way thicker, has nice vents and was LESS THAN half the price of the BGE cover.
  • danlbrown
    thanks thanks Mark. I’ll check them out. 
  • Mark_B_Good
    Here's my egg table with the Montana cover.

• Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Made this 3 years ago out of Cedar. This is for the large Egg I have at my mom's house. It gets stored in the garage when not in use. While it may not be obvious, it does have casters under it. I am not a big fan of using 'wheelbarrow size wheels' to move it. Casters are hidden under the table.
  • danlbrown
    Mike, that cedar is beautiful! What is the thickness of the shelf that the egg sits on?

• danlbrown
    Nice surprise....after cleaning up the barn board, saw that it was old growth white oak.
    Roughed in frame. Kiln dried 2 “bus” and 3/4 oak ply

Oak facing and doors....underway

• Mikee
    Danlbroun:
    Much of the build was 1" which means 3/4". The shelf is supported on 3 sides. It was glued up and screwed with pocket screws. The shelf is plenty strong to support a large. I do have a paver on top of the shelf which spreads the load.
  • danlbrown
    Mikee..thanks. I probably went overboard on support. Kind of realized that when I looked at the wood table at our local hearth and patio store. Your 3/4 cedar shelf just confirms I built more than needed. With the 2 by framing, I lost some space under the egg, but plenty of room to store platesetter and a couple of pizza stones. 

Being as cedar stands up to the weather, did you put ant type of finish on it?
  • Mikee
    That picture is after staining. I don't recall, but I think it was 'mocha' colored stain. I had my 80 year old mom help in the staining. Not that I wanted her to work, but I wanted her to be part of the project. The large egg and table are at her house. Here is a picture of the table before staining. It was broken down after this so the individual pieces would fit into the trunk of my car.
  • danlbrown
    Mikee, I appreciate your viewpoint about the casters, although mine aren’t quite as well hid as yours. I used an oak penetrating stain. I don’t like the natural graying in the white oak. Reading some of the debate on finishes. Originally thinking  Spar Poyurethane but rethinking after reading some. Any thoughts?

The whiskey barrel table showing the “natural” graying. Not what I’m looking for on the table. The boards used in the table come off a very old barn, with no finish and very solid. So maybe the best option is no finish other than the penetrating stain? 

Did you use anything other than the stain?

• danlbrown
    Finished build of new table. Ready to install the egg. Will set on a paver. I’m glad to have the storage at the egg vs. no storage in the original metal frame Have a cover on its way.                                                               
  • Mikee
    Your table looks great! Building a custom table does take time and a lot of planning. It looks like a piece of furniture versus the typical 'Picnic Table On Wheels'.