Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Favorite all time Veggie on the Egg

Options
Inspired by @Mickey's thread,
What's your favorite all time veggie on the Egg?

Especially now, mine is:   Cabbage because
1) Cabbage keeps forever in the fridge before / after cooking, relative to lots other veggies ("hence, especially now" in the Coronavirus era)
2) It takes on a great smokey flavor which is delicious as cabbage "steaks" or in a slaw.

Top picture was from Thanksgiving.  Paired with smoked turkey breast stuffed with goat-cheese & red pepper.

I tend to smoke them simply with olive oil + butter baste, salt and pepper.
Then fancy-it-up later in recipes. 

I tend to do that vs the more involved recipes because my focus is more on the meats than the veggie.   
But I figure... once the egg is happy and humming, how can I not smoke a cabbage?   
So I always toss it into the grocery cart if I think I'm going to egg.

I did try this first Raichlen recipe and it was delicious.
https://barbecuebible.com/recipe/barbecued-cabbage/
Haven't tried this but looks good
https://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/barbecued-cabbage-with-santa-fe-seasonings
Another thread here
https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/38156/smoked-cabbage

Comments

• booksw
    booksw Posts: 470
    Options
    That looks great @Sweet100s!  I love roasting tomatoes, onions (my son makes a whole sweet onion seasoned in foil), asparagus (that’s probably the one I do the most), and portobello caps.  I’ve roasted sliced cabbage In the oven but will have to try it on the Egg- thanks!!
    Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs
  • Sweet100s
    Sweet100s Posts: 553
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Other veggies great on the Egg but not as fab as cabbage:

Smoke roasted onions become sweet-smokey goodness with all the onion harshness removed.   Onions are a close second to cabbage in my best veggie list.

Leeks are outstanding any way I've tried them (sauteed, etc.) but they are such a pain to clean.

Zucchini + the AllRecipes greek seasoning is excellent, but Zucchini gets slimy in the fridge after a day or so.
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    interesting diversity
    I have have to admit that I've never had leeks before so what is the PITA to clean them?
    Thank You
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    Options
    As @booksw said above:

The only veggie burger that's better than beef (and I stand by that comment).  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• Sweet100s
    edited June 2020
    Options
    loco_engr said:
    I have have to admit that I've never had leeks before so what is the PITA to clean them?
    Each layer of the leek can have dirt.
    https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/how_to_clean_leeks/

Since crunching on dirt is unappetizing I do the following: 

1) Locate the tallest plastic cylinder I have - the one that came with an immersion blinder.  I'd otherwise only use this to froth egg whites into a meringue to fold into pancake batter right before cooking. 
    (my secret for making fluffiest pancakes on earth)
    But it's second purpose is leek cleaning.

2) Cut the leek in halves or quarters if big.  "fan" the leek a bit to loosen them apart slightly.

3) Soak in hot water for 5 min

4) Remove from the dirty water and rinse the layers.

This is worth it for a side dish I make that visiting fam raves about during the holidays: Bulgur - Leeks - Mushrooms pilaf
    Just cook each of those 3 things as you prefer separately & combine, eyeballing the ratio you want of each thing per bite.  

• loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    Sweet100s said:
    loco_engr said:
    Each layer of the leek can have dirt.
    https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/how_to_clean_leeks/

Since crunching on dirt is unappetizing I do the following: 

1) Locate the tallest plastic cylinder I have - the one that came with an immersion blinder.  I'd otherwise only use this to froth egg whites into a meringue to fold into pancake batter right before cooking. 
    (my secret for making fluffiest pancakes on earth)
    But it's second purpose is leek cleaning.

2) Cut the leek in halves or quarters if big.  "fan" the leek a bit to loosen them apart slightly.

3) Soak in hot water for 5 min

4) Remove from the dirty water and rinse the layers.

This is worth it for a side dish I make that visiting fam raves about during the holidays: Bulgur - Leeks - Mushrooms pilaf
    Just cook each of those 3 things as you prefer separately & combine, eyeballing the ratio you want of each thing per bite.  

Thank You for the very educational reply
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    Can't get that crappy PhotoBucket to open so as to show my pictures, but our favorite has to be 6 to 8 fresh asparagus spears pinned together like a log raft using round toothpicks. Then I mist them lighty with EVVO and then dust them with a favorite rub. Never lay them directly on the grate, but lay on top of whatever meat I'm eggiig. 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    My favorite veggie on the egg is ribs.
    NOLA
  • Sweet100s
    Options
    RRP said:
    our favorite has to be 6 to 8 fresh asparagus spears pinned together like a log raft using round toothpicks. Then I mist them lighty with EVVO and then dust them with a favorite rub. Never lay them directly on the grate, but lay on top of whatever meat I'm eggiig. 
    I like your location trick @RRP (on top of whatever meat you are egging)...

My fave way to do asparagus is with balsamic vinegar, garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper roasted in the toaster oven.
    Something about asparagus makes it happy to be slathered with balsamic vinegar & roasted.
  • Sweet100s
    Options
    buzd504 said:
    My favorite veggie on the egg is ribs.
    Agreed if it’s beef ribs :-). Making a great Veggie side seem to take more conscious work and thought to get right than the meats.
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    Butternut squash halves is my favorite.  Super simple with a touch of olive oil.
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    Options
    Padron peppers with prosciutto followed by mexican style corn on the cobb.
    Mountain View, CA
  • Sweet100s
    Options
    Do you go to specialty groceries for your padrons? 
  • McStew
    McStew Posts: 965
    Options
    I agree with Cabbage.  Next time try throwing it in the coals until the outer layers are black.  

Hermosa Beach CA 
  • volfan1
    volfan1 Posts: 164
    Options
    Thanks for replies here. Never thought of roasted cabbage or onion, so I'll be giving those a go on the egg. My favorite is corn. I soak the corn in the husk for an hour or so and then grill direct at 400 in the husk for 30 minutes turning every 10 minutes. Cooks perfectly and falls right out of the husk.
    XL & Mini & knock off medium. Western North Carolina. Formerly Franklin, TN. Formerly in Palm Harbor, FL. 
  • JethroBodeen
    JethroBodeen Posts: 524
    Options
    Asparagus with EVOO, SnP, and sesame seeds.
    Potatoe wedges in EVOO, rub, SnP. Cooked to golden brown.
  • EzraBrooks
    EzraBrooks Posts: 381
    Options
    Brussel sprouts for sure.  Lightly charred with some bacon - either on a skewer with bacon weaved in between the sprouts, or cooked in bacon fat in a cast iron pan.  I could eat that every day.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    oyster shrooms, plash them with oil dusted with a rub, grill hot til crispy. no need for the plate, just pick them of the grill with a fork

Image result for short ribs oyster mushrooms fishlessman

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it