Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Worst lump ever.

Options
Lump: burn it, cook on it. Simple. I prefer Rockwood but red bag Royal Oak also does the trick. Neither were available so I bought this:

This label has been around for a long time but I’ve never used it. Lit some up last night and had an hour of constant sparks and horrible smoke. Some enormous pieces of chunk. A really nice piece of wire was thoughtfully included. Oh and the bottom of the bag ripped. That’ll be good to clean up. 

I was surprised to find this was made by Royal Oak. Maybe it’s their reject lump? 

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle

Comments

• lentsboy007
    lentsboy007 Posts: 416
    Options
    Interesting .  Glad u told us, I will be sure to avoid 

1 Large Egg, Blackstone griddle

Belgium...........The Netherlands??

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,296
    Options
    Worse than Cowboy?
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,570
    Options
    Worse than Cowboy?
    Hey steady on now....
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    One, and only one, bag for me too.  I didn't get any wire, just some concrete.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    The key - at least with other "off brand names" is that last line of print on the backside - MADE IN MEXICO. No offense meant to our neighbor to the South, but the trees used are sometimes what we call scrubs and trash trees! Also the nature of the species can have different attributes than trees grown in less harsh climates in North America. The nasty smoke and heavy sparking is the proof of my claim.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • CornfedMA
    CornfedMA Posts: 491
    Options
    I had never heard or seen the stuff till this week when I showed up at my brother in laws place. He has a relatively new Louisiana Grills Kamado and asked me to show him how to control temps and do some baby backs. He brought out a bag of this stuff and we loaded it up. It smelled funky getting up to temp but it seemed to level off and we actually made some damn good ribs with it. I’m not going to run out and grab a bag, but it didn’t hurt our cause on this cook. 
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    @CornfedMA I’m glad you had a better experience than I!! Maybe my bag was made from a batch they didn’t finish carbonizing and finished with a bunch of leftover sparklers. 

I picked up a blue bag royal oak today, burns just fine. Locally raised Berkshire pork, ungodly good meat:

• Kayak
    Kayak Posts: 700
    Options
    That's a regular in my rotation. It's just so darn cheap comparatively. I get a lot of uncarbonized chunks, and lumps of clay, which get tossed. With the pandemic, we're not too excited about multiple shopping trips, and they sell this stuff at BJs where we buy 1/2 our food. Prefer KJ big block and Rockwood, but I take what I can get...

Bob

New Cumberland, PA
    XL with the usual accessories

• speed51133
    speed51133 Posts: 691
    edited June 2020
    Options
    I normally get Rockwood because it's made in USA (STL area), the owner is a member on this forum and seems like a good guy, and it is a quality product at a normal price (for premium lump at least).

My Ace was wiped out this weekend and I needed lump. I ended up getting https://blueshog.com/products/blues-hog-natural-lump-charcoal-20-lbs

It is also made in Missouri. I bet the Rockwood guy knows them, or at least of them....

Never tried it before but I have seen it at Ace for years. We will see how it goes. I did not see any reviews on it.
    XL BGE and Kamado Joe Jr.
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,336
    Options
    I normally get Rockwood because it's made in USA (STL area), the owner is a member on this forum and seems like a good guy, and it is a quality product at a normal price (for premium lump at least).

My Ace was wiped out this weekend and I needed lump. I ended up getting https://blueshog.com/products/blues-hog-natural-lump-charcoal-20-lbs

It is also made in Missouri. I bet the Rockwood guy knows them, or at least of them....

Never tried it before but I have seen it at Ace for years. We will see how it goes. I did not see any reviews on it.
    I've never tried their lump, but Blues Hog BBQ sauce Tennessee Red and Original are my absolute favorites. Give them a try if that Ace carries them
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Kayak said:
    That's a regular in my rotation. It's just so darn cheap comparatively. I get a lot of uncarbonized chunks, and lumps of clay, which get tossed. With the pandemic, we're not too excited about multiple shopping trips, and they sell this stuff at BJs where we buy 1/2 our food. Prefer KJ big block and Rockwood, but I take what I can get...
    sounds like your experience is better than mine, too.  i must have gotten a bad batch.  i don't mind rocks or clay, no big deal.  but the smoke and sparkler show i could do without!  egg on my friend.