Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Walkerswood Hot and Spicy Jerk Paste

I just had 2 ten ounce bottles delivered and I have never used this brand. The ingredients are: Scallions, hot peppers, salt, black pepper, pimento, nutmeg, citric acid, and thyme leaves. I had only used Neera's. It's ingredients were:lemon juice, malt vinegar, Chile peppers, allspice, garlic, onion , salt, black pepper, spices, and habanero Chile. 
Has anyone else used both of these? If so what can I expect different? I'm planning on cooking 5 pounds of chicken thighs for my family Friday and Mom is a bit sensitive to salt. Though it is other issues that are spiking her blood pressure right now in my opinion.

Comments

• xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,110
    Ive used this product since I went to Jamaica on my honeymoon some "years" ago.  Its delicious but use less than you think until you get used to it.  We used to make "Jerk Burgers" where I mixed it in the mince before making patties.  SWMBO and her friend couldnt eat them.

I usually mix this with some olive oil and use it a wet rub for Chicken.

Walkerswood Traditional Jamaican Jerk Seasoning Hot  Spicy
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,286
    xfire_ATX said:
    Ive used this product since I went to Jamaica on my honeymoon some "years" ago.  Its delicious but use less than you think until you get used to it.  We used to make "Jerk Burgers" where I mixed it in the mince before making patties.  SWMBO and her friend couldnt eat them.

I usually mix this with some olive oil and use it a wet rub for Chicken.

Walkerswood Traditional Jamaican Jerk Seasoning Hot  Spicy
    That is what a Jamaican said on Youtube about chicken. He said to use 2 to 3 tablespoons per 5 pound of chicken , to dilute it with olive oil(he eyeballed it ) , and to let it sit in the fridge over night. Personally heat doesn't bother anyone in the family though Chile is more acceptable than black pepper, it was the salt level that was a concern. I will be cautious and use just 2 tablespoons with no added salt. At least it is only half the price of Neera's.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    I haven't had Neeras, but have been using Walkerswood for several year now. I wouldn't worry about the salt content, but the Scotch Bonnet peppers have LOTs of heat. The flavor is quite strong, I suppose lime, allspice and thyme. I started using it as an over-night marinade, but now only smear a little on before cooking, and again towards the end.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,286
    gdenby said:
    I haven't had Neeras, but have been using Walkerswood for several year now. I wouldn't worry about the salt content, but the Scotch Bonnet peppers have LOTs of heat. The flavor is quite strong, I suppose lime, allspice and thyme. I started using it as an over-night marinade, but now only smear a little on before cooking, and again towards the end.
    I listed the ingredients, it looks like they used citric acid rather than lemon juice and malt vinegar like Neera's. Heat isn't really a problem, I have three Scotch Bonnet pepper plants and 4 jalapeño plants  in the garden right now. Mom started to shift from black pepper to cayenne years ago because it is supposed to help her arthritis  and puts it on with a fairly heavy hand. As I said I will take the YouTube guy's recommendation and only use 2 tablespoons the first time.
  • bradleya123
    bradleya123 Posts: 464
    Looks awesome, I just ordered the Hot & Spicy and the Mild...Looking forward to trying out!!
    Retired Navy, LBGE
    Pinehurst, NC