Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Coming out of a 56 day Dry Aged

Options
I dry aged a Ribeye Roast that should yield a good ten 1.5 inch ribeye steaks.  My question is this, I'm sure the plastic wrap will adhere to the roast and will not just pull off.  Do I trim it all off?  Leave it?  What's the best way to trim the roast, cut into steaks then trim?  Any help will be much appreciated!!

Livin' the dream in Pinehurst!!     
Retired Navy, LBGE
Pinehurst, NC

Comments

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    I would not leave it- personally I have not had an issue getting the plastic off dry aged beef. However, you don’t want plastic going on the grill so would trim it off. 

Greensboro, NC
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    If you left the plastic (cry-o-vac) on all this time it is not dry aged - but wet aged. Big difference! Dry aging means the moisture has been released - which didn't happen wrapped all that time!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • bradleya123
    bradleya123 Posts: 466
    Options
    This is the product I used to dry age.  False advertising?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=16&v=gbgAzJgcEXY&feature=emb_title 
    Retired Navy, LBGE
    Pinehurst, NC

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,769
    Options
    never seen this product, looks like he peeled it off before trimming, maybe just after steaking.  you dont want to trim as he did, that harder crusty outside layer softens up when you cook it and is the best part of the steak.  these cook twice as fast as unaged steaks so you need to watch this cook more closely
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    I used to use a similar product until my wife authorized me to go “naked” with the dry aging.  Now I no longer use that product. But that is another discussion.....  When I was using that product, it did peel off easier than one might think. I would peel it off and then cut into your steaks.  If you want to trim, trim after steaking the roast, or you will be cutting off my than you intend to.  Let us know how you make out.  
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    RRP said:
    If you left the plastic (cry-o-vac) on all this time it is not dry aged - but wet aged. Big difference! Dry aging means the moisture has been released - which didn't happen wrapped all that time!
    In my experience a wet aged subprimal in cry-o-vac looks exactly the same as when you start...no evaporation takes place and hence no sticking.