Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First shot at BGE Pizza - can't believe i waited so long

Options
Happy to report that everything you read about crispy "brick oven" pizza outcomes on the Big Green Egg is accurate and its way easier than I thought.  We've always enjoyed pizza night with homemade in oven pies.  But i was a bit intimidated to try it on the egg.  The proper set up with the pizza stone and the 600 degree temp was fairly easy to understand, but how to get the pie transferred from the peel to the stone was my mental stumbling block.  We had always rolled our dough out on the stone and directly into the oven - and it was gooey and thin...too thin in my mind to transfer from a peel.  But I watched a couple Green Egg videos....my first "Oh" was the advice for allowing the dough ball to rest at room temp for a couple hours...made all the difference in texture.  And with flour and a bit of cornmeal under the crust, the pie slid right over to the stone.  8 minutes later....wow.  crispy and so delicious.  Don't be hesitant to give it a shot!

Comments

• EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Options
    Sounds like you have great success.  Nothing beat Egg pizza.  Myself, I use parchment paper, after a few minutes slide it off.
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • Deluca
    Deluca Posts: 148
    Options
    Congrats on your pizza. I’ve been doing them for years and keep tweaking it every time. It’s a whole new bbq world. One thing someone told me that I found helpful is to use rice flour instead of cornmeal to slide the pizza onto the egg. That stuff is like WD40 of the flour world. 
    Enjoy!
  • ghyman
    ghyman Posts: 7
    Options
    Thanks Deluca ...will def try the rice flour
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    pics or it did not happen 😂

I personally prefer semolina over rice flour but rice flour is a good choice because it has high heat tolerance.

Options
    I just use the same flour I made the dough with, usually bread. Used to use semolina, but regular flour is just fine.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• gmanrva
    gmanrva Posts: 424
    Options
    Sounds great, would be better if I could see it. =)
    LGE Mechanicsville Va, XLGE Wake Va., LGE Duck NC.
    Formely Gman2 before password debacle