Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg rehab

Options
njl
njl Posts: 1,123
I was recently given a LBGE that had been in a significant table fire (like I don't know how the egg survived the custom table burning down).  The egg itself seems to have come out relatively unscathed.  The dome handle was gone (burned away).  The bands were kind of nasty, I think from years in the elements.  I had a spare set, so problem solved there. 

The firebox is practically modular.  I don't remember how many cracks it has (that spread out when lifted), but was amazed that I was able to pick it up multiple times without it falling apart.  Though the original owner could have warrantied it, he didn't bother, and now I have to decide whether to just keep using it as is, replace it, or order some Rutland Castable cement and rebuild it.

It also came with a cast iron plate setter that looks like it spent a lot of time sitting in the rain.  It's beyond rusty.  It's got huge flakes of rust shedding in layers.  I'm trying to decide/figure out if it's worth soaking in 1:1 vinegar for a day, and then see what's left, or just toss it.

The bottom vent screen was missing (which is the suspected cause of the table fire).  I know I could have bought an entire bottom vent assembly from a dealer (didn't even check price), but I went ahead and ordered (via ebay) a stainless steel punched metal vent.  It was cheap, and I'm curious to see how it does / whether it impedes air flow.  Anyone tried one?

I'm curious what people would do for either the firebox or plate setter?

Comments

• mpenacho
    mpenacho Posts: 25
    Options
    I have used electrolysis many times to remove rust from cast iron and steel.  Clean as much of the rust off as you can with a wire brush first.  Google for "electrolysis rust removal".

I use an old battery charger and "Arm and Hammer Washing Soda".  For the sacrificial anode I've used rebar, an old license plate; basically anything that's scrap and conducts electricity.  The sacrificial anode will get trashed.

Depending on the amount/thickness of the rust, it could take several hours.
    LBGE, XLBGE
  • speed51133
    speed51133 Posts: 691
    Options
    Sandblasting will clean up the plate setter like new. Find a local place. Make sure they use new media.dont want paint and oils on your stuff.
    XL BGE and Kamado Joe Jr.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    A stainless steel, heavy gauge wire brush will take most of the bad stuff of the CI platesetter if you have a decent power drill. Doesn’t have to be perfect to work perfect,
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas