Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Newer plate setter?

Greetings friends,

I guess I missed the thread...

which is the newest version?
8-D
Large BGE and Medium BGE
36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,129
    Left is newer.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,705
    Left is the newer one
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,201
    Gracias amigos
    Large BGE and Medium BGE

• jeffc5227
    jeffc5227 Posts: 131
    What is the benefit of the new style, increased indirect cooking?
  • stlcharcoal
    jeffc5227 said:
    Yeah, there was too much of a gap on the old ones.
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,195
    What does a platesetter cost these days?  I still have my original with longer legs from 11 years ago for my large.  Its lily white since it is only is used for baking.
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,316
    When did the new one come out? I bought my platesetter 2 year ago and I think it's the old style. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • stlcharcoal
    SonVolt said:
    When did the new one come out? I bought my platesetter 2 year ago and I think it's the old style. 
    Middle of 2018.
  • jeffc5227
    jeffc5227 Posts: 131
    jeffc5227 said:
    I cant tell if your being serious here or sarcastic? Do you believe there is a actual benefit to the new style or just BGE trying to sell us something we don't really need?  
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,195
    jeffc5227 said:
    jeffc5227 said:
    I cant tell if your being serious here or sarcastic? Do you believe there is a actual benefit to the new style or just BGE trying to sell us something we don't really need?  
    I’m not sure they’re trying to sell you something you don’t need. In fact I bet they would recommend keeping your old one if you already have it. I’ve noticed parts and molds change over time as they find enhancements. 
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    I remember a few discussions about how BGE was not making improvements/inovations to their products fast enough.  
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• stlcharcoal
    jeffc5227 said:
    jeffc5227 said:
    I’m not sure they’re trying to sell you something you don’t need. In fact I bet they would recommend keeping your old one if you already have it. I’ve noticed parts and molds change over time as they find enhancements. 
    The old one was fine if you had something dead center, but if it went beyond the circle, it could get direct heat.  Its not a huge improvement or anything.....i didn't go buy a new one.....but I think its a little better .
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,999
    Just to weigh in here- for those of us with older eggs with the fire rings that don’t have notches in them I wonder if that new style would rest higher up in the dome limiting head room. What is the height of the legs of old vs new?
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,201
    What does a platesetter cost these days?  I still have my original with longer legs from 11 years ago for my large.  Its lily white since it is only is used for baking.
    My replacement For the large was $80ish from the Greensboro NC BGE dealer. 

Interestingly, I recall my replacement for the medium was in the $120 range. Hmm..
    Large BGE and Medium BGE