Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hairline crack in base

I just found this hairline crack in the base which runs from the mesh air inlet down about halfway across the base.  How concerned should I be?  Should I try to get a warranty replacement?

Comments

• TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    You’re in a nest so not terribly concerning. But yes, seek a warranty replacement. 
    Signal Mountain, TN
  • MO_Eggin
    MO_Eggin Posts: 284
    Warranty.  I've had a similar hairline crack in my LBGE (in a nest on concrete pavers) for at least 4 years, eventually I'll get around to swapping in my replacement base.  I do try to keep my temps under 500*.

LBGE - St. Louis, MO; MM & LBGE - around 8100' somewhere in the CO Front Range
  • kdink
    kdink Posts: 336
    Get replacement and swap it out, why limit your temps when you don't have to since its covered replacement.
    2 Xl's, MM and Forno Bello
    Pizza Oven in Bergen County, NJ
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,606
    I have an 11 year old medium with out a crack and I'm planning to upgrade to a large. Has quality control taken a dip?
  • i have had a crack on one of mine for 7 years keep egging on!!! 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 33,191
    I have an 11 year old medium with out a crack and I'm planning to upgrade to a large. Has quality control taken a dip?

been happening for the 20 years ive had eggs. the corner opening of the lower vent builds up stress as they heat up and ive had them pop at low temps and high temps. one sounded like a shot gun going off during a 325 degree turkey cook.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,209
    I've never had any issues when making warranty claims. It really all depends on how good your dealer is and how much they actually want to help you out. We all know some dealers are better than others.
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 33,191
    WeberWho said:
    I've never had any issues when making warranty claims. It really all depends on how good your dealer is and how much they actually want to help you out. We all know some dealers are better than others.

still looking for a good dealer, gone thru 3 and needed the help with the mothership and the distributor.  with two of them it was a good 2 to 3 months to get a base replaced
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • All good advice. If the dealer balks, do not be afraid to email the Mothership. They have helped me in the past. I now have found the good dealer because of it...