Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg grate height in outdoor kitchen

Options
So we are having a patio installed and I'm having a 10 foot +/- long outdoor kitchen/bbq area in the middle. I have a large and MM, so there will be roughly a 2' cap at counter height, then 2' for the MM lowered down, 2' middle at counter, 2' lowered for the LGE and then 2' up at counter. They are just starting the build, and at first I told them to attempt to make the grates of each egg roughly the same height as the adjacent counter top. A lot of the tables I just looked at picture of show the grates probably 2-3 inches above. I am not sure if it is due to the hinge/spring or just cutting the hole in the table.

Since this is all masonry, there is enough clearance around it to not interfere with the hinge or springs, so my only real concern is height. Any disadvantage of having the grates at counter level and not up a few inches? Since I am hopeful to be living here for many, many years and enjoying a lot of grilling, I figure I better get it right and ask the experts.
Thanks all 

Comments

• speed51133
    speed51133 Posts: 691
    edited April 2020
    Options
    I am confused. a 2 foot cap at counter height? That is an awfully low counter.all i see is 2 feet up and two feet down. Please explain better. As to the hinges, see below. This is a minimax. The hinge dips downy.
    XL BGE and Kamado Joe Jr.
  • MonteLSx
    MonteLSx Posts: 7
    edited April 2020
    Options
    So it would be something similar to this photo, except 2 feet on the left of the MM, 2 feet on the right of the large and 2 feet in between (6 feet of "countertop". The eggs will be in slightly larger openings to allow for the hinge/handles on the MM to fit without any obstruction. This picture shows the grates of both eggs several inches above the countertop height. My question is if there is any downside to having the grates close to level with the countertop height (in this picture the eggs would be down a few more inches) or better to have it raised like in the pic? May not be a difference, just figured I'd ask since I want to do this just once.

Sorry, 2 foot counter I meant width vs depth, not height. Counter height will be 36"

Here is a link to the pic
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/iq1oocoszuqrsfe/89774096_931322620632844_9177915408663969792_n.jpg?dl=0