Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Jacques Pepin - knife skills

Options
mEGG_My_Day
mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
edited April 2020 in Off Topic
I came across this video of Jacques Pepin demonstrating knife skills.  It starts out slow, but if you have the patience it is well worth the 30 minutes or so.  If you are like me, you will learn a few new techniques, like the thumb placement to core an apple.  This man is brilliant at his craft and has always been one of my favorite ‘TV Chefs’.  Incredibly talented without arrogance. Thought I would share for those bored of watching Netflix. 

https://youtu.be/JMA2SqaDgG8
Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,170
    Options
    Great video to teach knife skills. Thanks for sharing. 
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Will have to check this out. 

Years ago, my wife and I received a private knife skills class. Well worth the money. Safer and much, much more efficient in the kitchen as a result. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,332
    Options
    Thanks for the link.  What a master chef. Always enjoy watching Jacques.  Even more impressive when you realize he is in his 80's.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Thanks for the link.  What a master chef. Always enjoy watching Jacques.  Even more impressive when you realize he is in his 80's.  
    My thought exactly - at 80+, he is still clearly and significantly more skilled than the young chef doing the interview. 
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • AprèsSki
    AprèsSki Posts: 131
    Options
    He was a guest on an episode of Simply Ming I recently watched. While talking directly to the camera he diced an onion without once looking away from the camera. Impressive and well practiced skill.

Plus one on the knife skills class, first lesson in any formal cooking class. The CIA knife skills book lives in an easily reached spot in my kitchen cookbook shelf.
    Firing up my XL Big Green Egg, KJ Jr. or Weber gasser in Salt Lake City
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Great video. Thanks. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,361
    Options
    Whether is it a sport, craft, art etc all the masters make it look so easy. Jacques is one for sure. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    Thanks for sharing!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,035
    edited April 2020
    Options
    This will make you feel better about your knife skills.

https://youtu.be/uXorYzRJnCU

Yes, some folks use a meat tenderizer to finish the job!

A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,746
    Options
    Finally got around to watch this. It's fascinating, and helpful. Thanks for sharing, mEGG_My_Day.
    Stillwater, MN
  • ArvadaMan
    ArvadaMan Posts: 260
    Options
    I spent much of my teenage years watching Jacques Pepin, Julia Child, and Martin Yan cook on PBS.  They did a lot to encourage my culinary skills later in life. I still love to watch their old shows if I come across one on TV.
  • rekameohs
    rekameohs Posts: 263
    Options
    ArvadaMan said:
    I spent much of my teenage years watching Jacques Pepin, Julia Child, and Martin Yan cook on PBS.  They did a lot to encourage my culinary skills later in life. I still love to watch their old shows if I come across one on TV.

There is a new series now running on PBS, where chefs such as Sara Moulton and Rick Bayless comment while they show an old Julia Child episode.  

Raleigh, NC
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Thanks for the rabbit hole.  I watched that then an Anthony Bourdain interview of Pepin from 2015.
    Options
    rekameohs said:
    ArvadaMan said:

There is a new series now running on PBS, where chefs such as Sara Moulton and Rick Bayless comment while they show an old Julia Child episode.  

Sounds like a twisted cooking version of MST3000
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,646
    Options
    Subtitles?
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,646
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Good video thanks for sharing. The host seemed to be focusing on speed though the technique was more impressive to me.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• rekameohs
    rekameohs Posts: 263
    Options
    I came across this video of Jacques Pepin demonstrating knife skills. 

I finally had a chance to watch this.  I had to laugh at how fast/easy he made things look.  The co-host tried to keep up with him at first, then gave up and just watched.

Raleigh, NC
  • ArvadaMan
    ArvadaMan Posts: 260
    Options
    I think that the young chef realized he was getting schooled and might best become a student at that point instead of trying to keep up with Jacques.

Many years ago, Jacques released an illustrated book called “La Technique.”  I was luck enough to find a copy at the local thrift store.  He also did a VHS series of tapes demonstrating all the techniques.  I think he updated the VHS series to DVD at some point.  I believe the series is still available on DVD.

After 70 years plus in the kitchen, he is an amazing wealth of information and experience as that young chef learned.